2017 Bahamas Cruise

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Gusto
skipper
skipper

2017 Bahamas Cruise

Post by Gusto »

We talked about a Spring cruise to the Bahamas at the Seminar in Stuart, FL. The tentative plan is to go to West End, then the Abacos, and leaving the remainder of the trip open. We plan to leave from somewhere between Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale around mid to end of April.
If you would like to join us, please let us know your plans and dates.

Bob & Sandy MacNeill
bobmacneill@msn.com
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: 2017 Bahamas Cruise

Post by deising »

We have been researching a short visit (2 weeks) in Cuba with a lot of time in FL before and after. BUT, the insurance issue is up in the air, so we may be returning to the Abacos in late April instead.

We have already been (with our sailboat) quite far into the Bahamas, but have no desire to repeat that this year. The Abacos will suffice, if Cuba does not work out. Good luck with your plans.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
Nirwana
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Nirwana »

Bob & Everyone else,

As I mentioned at the seminar, I am definitely planning on joining the cruise to the Bahamas at the end of April. The boat is in Stuart, so I will probably be crossing from Palm Beach if check in is at West End. I'll be staying in the Bahamas until early June or possibly early July if I leave the boat at a marina for about 10 days in mid June. I will send some updates to this thread with suggestions.

Tom Reese
Nirvana
Flyer
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Flyer »

We certainly enjoyed meeting fellow owners at the rendezvous and share their interest in the Bahamas. Traveling in a group also has advantages. However, during the conversation much was made of long-term moorings, restaurants, internet, and swimming pools. With all due respect to personal preferences, this is not ours. I believe Catherine and I will squander our youth in the Exhumas.
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Well, I think we are 99% sure we will NOT be going to Cuba this year. Apparently, no US carriers write insurance for Cuba yet, and the best policy my agent could come up with doubled my annual premiums, has a stiff cancellation penalty (they figured out people would cancel soon after the Cuba trip is over), doubles the deductibles for Cuban losses, etc., etc.

Looks like the Abacos will win this year. BTW, we love the Exumas and beyond, but we don't like bashing all that distance into the prevailing wind and waves. Plus, we have more limited time this year.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

We are interested in going to the Bahamas this year as well. We have never been before so the Abacos sounds great to us. We can't before the last few days of April or early May.
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
kjoverbeck
1st mate
1st mate

Post by kjoverbeck »

We would like to go with the group but can't wait that long. We hope to leave Lake Worth for West End the second week of March weather permitting.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Duane,
Come to Cuba with us on our charter trip:

http://www.songwritersisland.com/cuba.html

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Sam,

That is a very generous offer, but we have committed to the Abacos trip at this point and will not be able to join you on your charter. It does sound like a fun way to visit Cuba for a brief period. We hope you have a blast.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

We will probably leave for the Abacos from Lake Worth in early April. Anybody else interested in leaving in early April?

Bob MacNeill
Gusto
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

FYI - our planned itinerary is to cross from Key Largo or thereabouts, rest at Gun Cay, then cross the bank to the northern Berrys to clear in. Then we'll do a counter-clockwise cruise through the Abacos, crossing back to FL at the St. Lucie Inlet and returning to Punta Gorda via the Okeechobee Waterway.

We plan to be looking to cross from FL near the end of April and back to FL about mid-June.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Diva Di is now staged in Key Largo awaiting a crossing window to the Bahamas (near Cat Cay) in a few days. There were posts by other captains saying they wanted to leave earlier this month.

How about a roll call for who is over there?
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

Gusto and Taryn Aweigh will be in Lake Worth this week. Wednesday's weather looks promising for a crossing to West End. Anybody else ready to go?
Bob
Gusto
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Looks like we are on the same schedule Bob.
See you there.
James, Jackie, and crew aboard Cheemaun.
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

After enduring some fierce winds in the Berrys, we made the crossing to the southern Abacos yesterday. We are now at Lynyard Cay, just N of Little Harbour, and will slowly make our way over the next 8 weeks to West End to cross to St. Lucie, FL.

Hope to see some of you over here.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL