transfer pump

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
island time
deckhand
deckhand

transfer pump

Post by island time »

I would like some info on the transfer pump for transferring fuel from the front tank to the aft tank, when i do this , I here the pump running but i do not see results. I looked on the pump, but i do not see a gallons per hour decal.I have read on the forum about the pump being possibly air locked , but I am not sure if this is the case .Any info would be greatly appreciated
Vinnie L 2002 PDQ Powercat 34 Hull #18
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Re: transfer pump

Post by AMCarter3 »

This may be helpful... since our PowerCat is in a charter business, we provide the following instructions regarding transferring fuel in our "Owner's Notes" to charter guests:

1. Turn the DC panel circuit breaker for the fuel tank pump ON.
2. OPEN the hatch over the auxiliary fuel tank Locker #2 on the foredeck.
3. Open the “Fuel Transfer” valve on the LEFT on top of the auxiliary tank. There are clips on the valve handles which must be slid back slightly to allow the valve to turn. The middle “Fuel Overflow” valve should already be OPEN. If not, open it. (NOTE: the valves on the main fuel tank are always in the OPEN position.)
4. The fuel transfer switch is at the top of the transfer pump inside the hatch on the port side of deck Locker #2 to activate the pump. It is a black “rocker” switch. Push the switch so it points AFT or toward the main tank at the stern of the boat.
5. Carefully monitor the fuel gauge while transferring fuel to avoid overfilling the main tank. Do not empty the auxiliary tank completely as this may cause an air lock in the lines.
6. When sufficient fuel has been transferred, turn the Fuel Transfer pump switch OFF (center position) and CLOSE the Fuel Transfer valve on top of the auxiliary tank. (Leave the Fuel Overflow valve OPEN.)
7. Shut the DC panel circuit breaker for the fuel pump OFF.

CAUTION: Do not fully empty the AUX fuel tank using the transfer pump – that can cause an airlock to occur. If this occurs, fill the forward tank to full and the pump should self-prime.

CAUTION: Failure to switch OFF the fuel transfer pump when the AFT fuel tank is full may result in fuel being forced out the air vent into the water.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

For what it is worth, Dick Tuschick from Rhumbline Yacht Sales issues this advice, which we have used extensively:

Keep the transfer valves open for the forward tank and keep the toggle switch set for transfer aft (this is what you will want to do almost 100% of the time).
Make sure the transfer valves on the aft tank are always closed, except when transferring fuel.
When you wish to transfer fuel aft, remove the wood floor covering for the aft tank.
Open both transfer valves.
Turn on the breaker switch for the transfer pump.
Sit still and watch the fuel gauges until the desired amount of fuel has transferred (do not get involved with something else or you could overfill the aft tank).
Do not bring the forward tank less than about 1/3 full. If you expose the pickup of the transfer, you can get an airlock.
When done, turn off the breaker switch.
Close both transfer valves.
Replace the wood floor cover.

Note, since the forward tank is somewhat higher, if you accidentally leave the transfer valves open, gravity can transfer fuel, which you want to avoid.
This method can be used while underway with no need to leave the cabin as we have done many times.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

one thing to think about. in theory the transfer pump pickup is HIGHER than the genset pickup. on our 2003 that is not the case. so make sure that the transfer runs out before you get to the generator pickup or you won't be able to run the genset.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Tampatommy
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Tampatommy »

Thanks Duane...Dick's idea is brilliant. Having to never leave the salon is a great idea.

Our first attempt at a transfer was not successful. Reading the Owners Manual - it does not mention where the transfer valves are. I had to call my Beoker to get the skinny.

Cheers

Tom Dunn
Cat du Rhome
teamwork
skipper
skipper

Post by teamwork »

What if anything will happen if you do let the fwd fuel gravity feed to aft tank? I've been doing it since I've owned Teamwork. I monitor fwd fuel tank and close valves at 1/4 tank, haven't had any problems. Roger on Teamwork
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

We have long used the valve method described by Dick. One thing to keep in the back of your mind is that on Vita Bella, the direction switch on the transfer pump is wired in reverse, so to pump forward-aft, the switch must point toward the bow. Once in a while we need to flip that switch back and forth to get the darn pump to prime, but it eventually does its job. We try hard to keep the forward tank at least 1/2 full.
Ross Bowling
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Post by Tom Green »

I ended up putting a priming circuit with a squeeze bulb as found on outboard motor tanks in line near the transfer pump. Now it is a simple matter to re prime the transfer pump. I found that I lost the prime at times I spite of following admonition to not empty the forward tank too far. Also could not always get it to reprime by filing the forward tank to the deck level.
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499