Light smoke from engines

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Light smoke from engines

Post by John&Ria »

Over the last couple of years our Yanmar diesels have started to produce light blue smoke (more at start, less when warmed up). The engines have 1400+ hours on them.

My mechanics tell me that the smoking is the result of aging injectors, but nothing to be concerned about yet. I have head that diesel additives such as Stanadyne Performance Formula can help the injectors do there job and thereby reduce smoking, as well as improve overall performance and mileage (or so it is claimed).

I believe I will give this a try this season, but am curious if other PDQ owners have had success with Stanadyne or similar products.

Thanks for any input.....

John
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Re: Light smoke from engines

Post by Gusto »

Have you had your injectors serviced? We do it every 1000 hours. Also, we use an additive called DEE-ZOL distributed by Mastry Marine, the Yanmar distributer in St Petersburg. We have 2500 hours on the engines and get a slight white smoke at startup, but none after that.

Bob MacNeill
Gusto 34#83/100 hp
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

Thanks for your reply Bob.

Yes, we did have the injectors serviced and tested at 1140 hours, as per the Yanmar operation manual (at a large boatyard in the Bahamas, which is another story). Interestingly, it was later that season when light smoke first appeared.

It certainly looks like your injectors are performing better than mine. I believe DEE-ZOL is quite similar in its performance claims to the Stanadyne product that I'm testing. Have you seen other benefits from this product, e.g. better mileage etc.?

John
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

Hi John,
Can't say if we noticed any difference because we have been using it since we bought the boat. We buy all our filters and parts from Mastry. They highly recommended the DEE-Zoll so we haven't tried anything else.
Bob
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

I'll see what benefits I get from the Stanadyne product - it's already in the tank and we're just starting our cruising season up here - and then maybe try DEE-ZOl for comparison purposes.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

John