Hard Top?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Padden
deckhand
deckhand

Hard Top?

Post by Padden »

Has anyone put a hardtop on the flybridge of an MV 34? Are there weight issues? Thanks.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Hard Top?

Post by duetto »

hi,

i helped a friend install one on a 30' trojan. i think it could work if you get someone to make one and keep the weight under control. the mounting system would work well on a pdq.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

I am having a hardtop built by Atlantic Towers. They have built them for the PDQ 34 before once or twice. Anyway, Atlantic Towers can build the hard top to fit the boat without even seeing the boat. They claim that my top will weight about 200 lbs. I think that is pretty light. I expected it to be maybe 300 lbs.

I will not have a notch for the mast. I will remove the mast and put all that stuff on the hardtop. It comes with a built in cable run and a reinforced spot for mounting Radar.

My problem is that I cannot find anyone to help install it. Atlantic Towers has a list of installers on their website. One of them is St. Lucie Marine. I have called them three times. They always say they will call back, but never have. I do not, as yet, have a delivery date. I am running around looking for an installer, but I get a lot of blank looks.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Tim
M/V 068 Expatriate
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

there is a diy yard in manatee pocket. the name escapes me. something like J&R. they are at extreme south end of the pocket. they will provide labor for a price. give them a call.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Take a look at www.http://hardtotop.com

Fits on the existing Bimini framework.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Expatriate
admiral
admiral

Post by Expatriate »

We hauled to boat for the annual bottom job. We decided to leave the props as they are. The only thing was to install the new hardtop! The Atlantic Towers top is about 10 feet by about 11 feet and weighs less than 200 pounds. Three guys can pick it up easily. They save weight by making the fiberglass quite thin, but make use of a goodly number of ribs underneath. The welding is possibly the best I have seen in a while. The package consists of four major pieces: the top, two side supports, and two forward supports.

I built a scaffold on the fly bridge, basically two large saw horses with connection between and a lot of bracing. A lot of measuring was needed to get the distance above the deck correct to give 6'4" headroom at the lowest center point. Then the forklift from the yard just plopped it up there and it fit perfectly. I was sure a lot of shimming and modifications would be next, but the thing fit perfectly.

We never found and installer so we asked a local yacht services company to send a guy over just to have another body. He never showed. Figures. My wife and I installed the side supports. We were worried, but they fit like a glove. We will install the remaining supports in the marina. I have attached a picture, but it was tricky. Might have to redo it.
Attachments
DSCF0125.JPG
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Wbr2974 »

Very nice job.. Looks great.
Will not be showing this to the admiral or I'm sure I'll be calling Atlantic towers myself..
I keep thinking about all those beautiful solar panels that could go up there.....

Bill
MV 34 075
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

Has anyone tried the Hard-to-top? They estimated $2300 for my boat using existing bimini bows. Not bad.

Bob MacNeill

Gusto 2006 mv#83