Cutless bearing story

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Cutless bearing story

Post by boathead »

We purchased the boat with known badly worn cutless bearing on the port side and a recently installed one on the starboard side. The recently installed one did not hold up.The port side was well secured in its tube and was removed in the usual way by cutting it with a sawsal. The brass outer casing had a heavy cross hatching.If this was to break loose it would make the perfect file within the tube. The brass Duramax (bite) replacement was smooth and subsequently just a tad bit loose in the tube. I used thickened epoxy and and 4 new set screws to secure in place. Prior to this install the shaft ran smooth and true.

Here is were it gets interesting . The starboard side (recent install) had been poorly done. It had shaft wobble. I could see that the coupler on this side had been whaled on, so a suspect install from the start. The PO installed or had installed a composite style bearing in a well worn tube using only 2 set screws. Needless to say the bearing came loose and was just spinning with the shaft within the housing. The new bearing was centered in the housing and was replaced as above.
My theory on what caused the original problem, the original bearing came loose with the cross hatched surface and acted like a file. The composite replacement didn't hold due to poor install. But what caused the original to break loose , can't answer that for sure but it sure looks like a broken/failed bonding on the rear
rubber motor mount had a lot to do with it.

Just thought I'd share this learning experience.

Cheers Carl
2003 Hull 28 75 hp Belmar (soon to be renamed KARMA)
home port Queens Creek Mathews Va.(Chesapeake Bay)
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Cutless bearing story

Post by AlanH »

We have what I think is a very little vibration in the starboard shaft. The alignment is good. I am beginning to suspect the Cutless bearing or a slightly bent shaft. The engine has been aligned in the past couple years. We have had the boat almost six years and have never done any work on either. I do know we have the extra half Cutless bearing. We are scheduled to have it hauled in February for bottom paint and plan to have them take a look at the shafts and bearings.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Post by boathead »

Hi Allen,
My best bet would be normal wear and tear on the cutless bearing. The only other possibly that comes to mind is a failed or failing motor mount. Thats assuming the prop is clean and undamaged.
If you have some up and down play at your prop then there's your issue.

Cheers Carl
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Post by boathead »

IMG_2181.JPG
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Hi Carl and Alan - It's basically the same story on Hull #29. I'm headed into the boatyard next month for props, shafts, bearings and rudders. I'll post some photos.

Carl - thank you for all your posts !
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
boathead
1st mate
1st mate

Post by boathead »

Hi Mike'
We are re launching on Mon. We looked at Easy Rider on our search a year ago. I really like what the previous owner did on enhancing the flybridge seating etc. Ours is a plain Jane at the moment so we are gathering ideas on seating ,table ,cooler etc. Its going to be a Spring project as we are getting ready to dust off the old Sprinter van and head out West to get out of the cold here in Va.

If you get a chance sent me some pics of your FB lay out .
804 725-8108

God luck with the repairs.

Cheers Carl
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi mike,

we crossed paths with bill & fran many times. unfortunately i never asked him where he got the wrap around corner seat on port flybridge. we have an igloo there which is basically storage and occasional seating. if we went with your seating setup we'd have to give up our igloo....choices.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Thanks Carl and John - I'll post a new thread on the wrap-around seat with photos and measurements. It would be easy to do - just tubing and starboard basically.

Carl - coincidentally, Belmar was the first PDQ I looked at at. By the time I had seen a couple, you had already got her under contract !
Mike Hendry
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Update from Hull # 29 -

We had fiber / composite bearings like Carl. The starboard bearing conveniently came out with the shaft - no pressing required. The port bearing was a little more recalcitrant, and had to be cut out. Went back in with standard BITE's with the brass casing.
Attachments
20220127_124711.jpg
20220127_124735.jpg
Mike Hendry
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade