Hull Parts, Bow Cap and Spray Deflector

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Hull Parts, Bow Cap and Spray Deflector

Post by bjgin »

Does anyone know where we could buy a bow cap and the spray deflector piece that goes on the lower part of the front of the hull of the PDQ 34?
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Hull Parts, Bow Cap and Spray Deflector

Post by AlanH »

We had someone bump us in a marina and damaged one of the bow caps the other one had a scrape on it. We had them both repaired and painted. They came out great.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Hi BJ -

A far as I know, they are both parts that need to be built from scratch.

After I got hit at Block Island last year, New England Boatworks fabricated both the bow cap and spray rails. (They did a great job on the fiberglass work. The rest of the yard is a disaster, and I would not recommend them for any other work until a new set of upper management is put in place.)

On the spray deflector - they took a piece of the rail to get the profile and built a straight piece. Then they made precision wedge cuts to get the wrap-around sections at the bows. NEB was unable to complete the work but shipped the parts to me for installation. We used a forklift and front end loader and clamps to get the section epoxied into place. After curing and fairing, the yard taped them off and spray-painted white.

Depending on the damage, you may be able to use filler and a Dremel to create the profile.
Attachments
20221117_104017.jpg
IMG_20230110_120503.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
BuoyScout
deckhand
deckhand

Post by BuoyScout »

Hey BJ. I just did some repairs to mine as well. They came out very well with the filler, primer and paint I was advised to use.

How bad is your damage?
Josh + Karen + Dutch
SCOUT, Toronto ON, Canada
2004 PDQ MV/34
Hull #035
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

Josh,

Could you tell what kind of "filler" you used to patch your Spray deflector? Mine has a few small nicks that I think could be filled.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229