Thru Hull Splash Cover

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nick
admiral
admiral

Thru Hull Splash Cover

Post by Nick »

Not sure I have the name correct, but our boats have a little “cowling” on the outside of the hull down the centerline protecting an entry/exit hole. Not sure what that hole is to, but perhaps the anchor locker drain. Anyway, that little cowling has fallen off our boat (it appears to have only been glued on) somewhere on the high seas. Does anybody know the proper name for that plastic piece and perhaps a part number and/or replacement part in lieu of original?

Thank you in advance.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Thru Hull Splash Cover

Post by duetto »

hi, attached is a link to what i think you're after but i can't remember ever paying that much.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sailing ... s/28103000
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Yep, thank you. That’s precisely the item….. “marine clamshell vent cover.” I found them too after posting my initial question. Pricing is all over the place! All appear to be designed to affix with screws. Our original was glued on (probably why it fell off) and other PDQ’s appear to be the same. Don’t really want to drill holes into hull so will try this with glue. Thanks again!
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

after i posted the clam shell, i reread your original post. if this is the cover for the anchor locker drain, ours fell off too, 16 years ago. we actually had 2 problems, 1) the cover fell off 2) i discovered pdq had never actually drilled the drain hole. i fixed #2 with a good sized drill bit. as to #1, i decided to go to the local ace hardware and get a nylon 90 degree bend hose barb, which i marinetexed in place. still there after 16 years.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

If gluing on clean the surfaces with acetone, sand the contact areas with 320 grit, remove the dust and apply a nice bead of 5200 and install. Smooth the ooze with a wet finger and secure with tape until set.
If screwing as well countersink the screw holes in the bridge deck to create an O ring seal around the screws to help keep water out of the coring, and duplicate above.
Have a good look at the drain hole to confirm the coring has been sealed well, and it's there..

James
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Thank you for further follow up. You’ve reminded me I think I saw Duetto somewhere and noted the hose barb solution but had forgotten about it. Seems more robust than gluing a clamshell vent to hull as I really don’t like to drill holes if I don’t have to.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

not sure you'd post the praise if you saw my other response first
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23