SD20 saildrive diaphragms replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
juanma
deckhand
deckhand

SD20 saildrive diaphragms replacement

Post by juanma »

Hola,

Has anyone replaced the diaphragms on the Yanmar SD20 saildrives? Although the SD20 operation manual recommends replacing the diaphragms every two years, I have never done so. Lately, the port hull water alarm has come on while sailing. I suppose that the outer diaphragm is leaking. I'm looking for "tips and tricks" about the replacement process.

Gracias,
Juan
s/v Albita, PDQ 36 LRC - 46
Juan
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

Re: SD20 saildrive diaphragms replacement

Post by halfmoon »

Juan,
I recently had to replace the hull fairings for my saildrives and had read the "two year replacement" comment. Atlantic Yacht Basin in Great Bridge, Virginia did the work. They are a Yanmar dealer and said that they had seen the diaphragms last over fifteen years and to wait for evidence of failure. Unfortunately, you have the evidence, but I would strongly recommend having the work done by an experienced yard.
Good luck,
Alex Kehayes
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

You may want to check this out:
http://www.sv-loki.com/saildrive0.jpg
http://www.sv-loki.com/saildrive1.jpg
http://www.sv-loki.com/saildrive2.jpg

The Volvo is not quite the same as the Yanmar, but pretty close.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
phild
skipper
skipper

Post by phild »

Jeff,
Forgive what may be a stupid question but what exactly is the alarm connected to? Start up panel? Visual? Audible? Do engines need to be running for it to function?

Thanks!
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

My understanding is that alarm is is connected to the engine control panel and is active when the key is on. The real question is whether it is set up in a failsafe way, so that the alarm would sound if the wire broke or fell off. I guess I'll have to go through some wiring diagrams and check it out in the spring (i.e. next week!). One more thing to worry about!
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

My nstbd alarm came on recently. I had anengine vibration that came and went but eventually became pronounced. Before I found the real problem I ended up replacing fwd engine mounts. Turns out that the props had suffered electrolysis and the gears had deteriorated eventually I lost one blade. My alarm went off because of rainwater leaking through the Perko latch. It had been heavy enough to cause the alarm to go off. This led me to discover that because of the engine movement it had sheared the stainless retaining ring for the inner seal allowing water to get into the space. The alarm sender is foolproof as it is to electrodes in an encapsulated fitting so if it went off there is a reason. I ended up buying both the engine and saildrive service manuals for about $125. I also bought a new band but after receiving it discovered the only way to replace it is to separate the drive from the engine. I will probably end up doing it myself as it is the stbd one and I'm sure a premium would be charged because of the lousy access. The diaphragms and band will run about $350 for parts. Another thing I might mention is that when I had the boat hauled at SeaLove in New Smyrna they made fiberglass plates to put on in place of the rubber fairing. When the diver went down to replace the blades he took a video camera with him sot I could watch and I see that they are still in place and look OK but Iwon't have a definitive opinion until I pull the boat this fall for SD and bottom job. BTW I ended up replacing blades on both P&S within 2 weeks. Blades-$273/pr pluss $66 next day delivery. This hasn't been acheap winter for me!
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
juanma
deckhand
deckhand

Post by juanma »

Hola,

Thank you for all the replies. It has been about ten days since I put the boat back on the water.

I was too eager to start the job of replacing the diaphragm on the starboard engine and did not see the excellent article about replacing the diaphragms on the Volvo saildrive. As pointed out in the message, the saildrives are similar and the instructions apply to the Yanmar saildrives. Since I was having problems with one saildrive, I took the plunge and did both drives; even though, the port saildrive did not need replacement.

The job is is not difficult (it had been easier if I was 10 years younger and fit to enter the starboard engine compartment) the trick is to get the engine and saildrive unbolted and moving before making any attempt to remove the saildrives. The ugly part is the expense of the seals. I also used the opportunity to replace all the o-rings in the saildrives. I did not take pictures of the process but can describe it to anyone interested or in need to replace the diaphragms.

Gracias,
Juan
s/v Albita, PDQ 36 LRC - 46
Juan