Sliding Door Leak

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Sliding Door Leak

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

James,
Thanks for the excellent help. You have always been so considerate with us owners.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

Here's another solution... We love our companionway dodger. Original design was by Paul Gooding of Horizons, execution was by G & G Canvas of Stuart, FL. It's also great for providing ventilation on those warm, rainy days in Florida and the Bahamas.
Henry - in Jensen Beach, FL - http://www.snodoglog.com
Attachments
Companionway Dodger on Sno' Dog
Companionway Dodger on Sno' Dog
5785-Dodger-SM.jpg (53.29 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Interesting thread, Henry I have been thinking of some kind of dodger as well. Your pic was the first I have seen of this accomplishment. How does it attach at the sides? Did it required any drilling? It appears that the top frame attaches to the existing railings. I have spent many a rainy day thinking how nice it would be to have the rear door open without getting soaked! I appreciate the info. Thanks Sandy Kramer MV MISHIGAS PC34 Hull 68
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi all,

this is for those with a rear door that leaks thru the latch release. the reason the latch leaks is that the outside latch release is above the inside one. the water gets inside the door thru the slide mechanism and then drips onto the inside latch release. the water exits the release inside the boat and then drips down the inside face of the door.

i solved this problem with a piece of press 'n seal kitchen wrap. i removed the inside release mechanism and then covered it with a "tent" of press 'n seal. i needed to cut a small slit in the press 'n seal to allow the plunger from the upper latch to fit into the lower latch. the press 'n seal adheres to the release mechanism enough to allow it to become trapped when screwed back into place. since implementing this the boat has weathered a couple of torrential rainfalls without a drop entering the latches.

now if i could only figure out the leak in the lower port corner :(
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

well, i think that i solved the lower port corner leak also. the only place that seemed like it could cause a leak in that area was the joint between the lower track and the vertical end plate that is the door frame. i did 2 things so i'm not sure which did it: 1) i caulked the joint with goop 2) i drilled a 1/4" drain hole in the lowest part of the track. prior to this i had caulked the starboard door frame as james power suggested. this cut down on leak but didn't eliminate it.

we've had 2 heavy rains and 1 heavy washing, all of which would have led to leaking. at this point we're dry.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23