2nd Shur Flo Pressure H2O pump failure

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

2nd Shur Flo Pressure H2O pump failure

Post by Ross Bowling »

Upon arrival in Ensenada from Florida aboard Yacht Path, I have found that the Fresh Water Pressure Pump had failed AGAIN. 2nd failure since I left the factory in October '07. The pump gets very hot to the touch and when I cycle the switch on the breaker panel It will run for a short while then slow down and stop.

Has anyone had this type of continued failure and if so, is there a fix?
I welcome any and all help, as I am the head of Warranty Dept. ;-).

Ross Bowling
Vita Bella 34-114
Ross Bowling
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Re: 2nd Shur Flo Pressure H2O pump failure

Post by Mishigas »

Hi Ross, we met briefly in Annapolis Harbor last fall when Heidi and I dinghied over and said hello as you were heading south. Anyway, your pump issue seems very odd. When the pump is working, does it run normally or for a prolonged period of time? Could there be a blockage or kink in the feed line from your tank to the pump? Do you have the strainer in place to catch any particulate in front of the unit? Odd. Good luck and enjoy your "West Coast" PDQ. Sandy Kramer MISHIGAS MV34 Hull 68
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Sandy, Yes I remember our meeting while we were tied up at AYC. When we left the factory, the pump seemed to cycle at odd intervals, finally giving up the ghost in Daytona Beach Florida. James Powers thought the pump may have had some grit or dirt in the diaphragm,but we replaced the unit. The replacement worked well for our time cruising in the Keys, but failed upon arrival in Mexico. I have another and will be installing it next week. I have been told that the Jabsco is a better solution.

I will keep the Forum updated.

RB :D
Ross Bowling
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hi Ross, hope all is well. When your pump is running, try turning the black knob on top of the water filter to the bypass setting. If the pump speeds up then the filter probably needs replacing. Make sure the tank vent line is clear also. Hope this helps... James
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

I will be on the boat this next week and will check the filter. Thanks for the idea and I will be posting a result.

The Newport to Ensenada race is next weekend, and I will be bringing Vita Bella from Ensenada to San Diego on April 28th. We will keep her in San Diego for a couple of weeks and then we will be bringing her to San Francisco Bay.

Anyone that is coming to the Bay Area is welcome to come aboard.

rb
Ross Bowling