Water pressure and the water filter

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Water pressure and the water filter

Post by Ross Bowling »

So, Vita Bella is making her way from San Diego to San Francisco Bay and there is yet another problem with the pressure water system. Kurt Jerman, the new California PDQ dealer is bringing her North. They have made Santa Barbara this afternoon and when they were getting settled, the pressure water pump will run but no water is pumped. He took the water filter out and then he is able to get water through the system, only when he holds the red button on the top of the water filter down. Once he releases the button, no water.

Anyone had this problem? Does the filter need to be in the cartridge for the water to flow??

I would love to hear from anyone that has info, either via this forum or my toll free # 888-772-3005

RB
Ross Bowling
Padden
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Water pressure and the water filter

Post by Padden »

I had constant water pressure problems. Then I took my filter cartridge out 2 years ago, turned the valve to bypass the filter and have put 600 hours on the boat with no problems.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Thanks for the reply, We are installing a 4th pump this afternoon, replacing the filter and hoping for the best. I fully intend to take the filter completely out once the boat gets to the Bay, we have some of the best water in the world and after a good flushing of the tank, and possibly replacing the Shur-Flo pump with a Jabsco.

I am sick and tired of this problem.

Ross
Ross Bowling
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

My problems continue. The pump has been replaced, the filter has ben replaced and we are still not able to get the pressure water system to work. the feed line at the tank was disconnected and a hose lined up with the line. The faucet was then turned on in the galley and water flowed into the sink. The system was reassembled and NO water made it through the pressure system.

I am thinking about moving the pump into the forward starboard locker where the water tank is located, as well as taking out the filter. BTW the tank vent was also checked and it is clear, so there is no vacuum.

ANY suggestions are welcomed.

rb
Ross Bowling
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi ross,

this isn't the kind of suggestion that you're looking for, but...... step back and regroup. there must be a fundemental difference between you and other boats....DON'T radically change things. go thru inch by inch....it's there somewhere.

good luck!
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

The boat is now at home on San Francisco Bay, but the water issue gets more weird. When the fresh water pump switch is on, the pump fills the head. The crew that brought the boat North had to station one member in the head while they ran the pump to wash dishes to avoid a overflow of the head.

The new (4th) shur-flo pump is VERY loud.

Any thoughts before we call in the Mounties?

Ross
Ross Bowling
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

It sure sounds like the problem has nothing to do with the pumps - do you still have them?

While I can't address your problems directly, I can say this: We have a Shurflo on our 36 and every spring I fight with it to get it working. Since I break down the system and blow air through it every winter (as opposed to using the pink anti-freeze) it takes some coaxing to flush all the air out. For some reason, even the smallest leak on the intake side prevents it from priming. The first year I bought a replacement before I realized it was really my fault!

As for the head, does it use pressure fresh water, i.e. what model is it? If so, it sounds like it has a problem. If not, then your plumbing is really screwed and you shouldn't drink any until its fixed and the system is flushed! (Heads should never be tied to the drinking water system unless they have been designed for that.)

And Shurflo's are noisy, that's so you know how much water is being used! You can put on an accumulator to minimize the pumping - the accumulator that came with my PDQ was a rather small one, so you might consider a larger one.

One more thing: although in most regards my PDQ was extremely well made, the plumbing was a nightmare. For example, the water tank came with all of the shavings from cutting the holes, and the straw only went part way down. The head gave us problems for years until I redid all of the hoses, eliminating about 30 feet of un-needed hose. The hot water tank was connected with plastic fittings which of course melted within a few months. And it had no shut offs to isolate parts of the system, so any leak meant there was no water. And so on ...

There are only two possible solutions for a boat owner: (1) learn how to maintain (really, how to build from scratch) every system in the boat, or (2) spend a LOT of money.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Ross, if the head fills up whenever the pump is on, check the toilet solenoid. It is located under the sink on the aft wall, or behind the cabinets inspection port. The soleniod will have a pipe in and out of it and 2 wires conected to it. Take the solenoid apart and remove the debris that is preventing it from closing. This may also be causing the pump to not prime, if it is allowing air into the system. Another thing to check is the pick up tube and fitting conections at the tank.The good news is that when you figure this problem out, you deserve a good drink !
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Thanks James

We are working on it over the weekend and will report back.

rb
Ross Bowling