hull noises

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

hull noises

Post by doubledutch »

When we are at anchor and we get waves / swells rolling in from the side there is a regular creaking sound generated in the hulls. It sounds a bit like the sound of leather being squeezed. The sound is not loud enough to keep anyone awake but it can get annoying after a while. I've attempted to find out where it originates but have not found the source yet - possibly it is just fiberglass flexing - it seems loudest in the chart table or galley areas - when you close the door to the aft cabin the sound is largely shut out. I wondered if there might be some movement between the liner panels and the hulls somewhere.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

Henry
Mongoosemagic
1st mate
1st mate

Re: hull noises

Post by Mongoosemagic »

We get the same noises. It occurs when the waves are coming from a different angle then the wind. I "think" that it is the hull flexing but I'm not sure. We try to anchor where we don't have this problem.
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

H i Henry, check and see if the squeak is coming from the aluminum cabin door frames. In the past we have seen these frames squeaking on the fiberglass bulkhead. If its the culprit, let me know. Ive got a quick fix. James
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

Good thought - I'll check this weekend.
Thanks
Henry