Extending stateroom.

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Downhereinmexico
deckhand
deckhand

Extending stateroom.

Post by Downhereinmexico »

Has anyone ever seen this done? Knocking the wall between the two staterooms and creating a larger room?

I know this knocks the 3 bedroom to a two bedroom, but is there any way to do this?

Ideally, a way that can then be put back once it's time to sell?

I know I am asking for miracles, but you never know.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Extending stateroom.

Post by SecondWind »

That "wall" is a structural member. Don't even think about doing it without and engineer to design a means to support and prevent twisting, and to also distribute the mast loads (as is the wall at the headboards of your staterooms).
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Downhereinmexico
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Downhereinmexico »

Thanks Terry.

Forget that then. It was a very glib idea. Pity though.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Boy how I know. I'd love a bigger stateroom too, but can't mess up a fine boat to get it.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Actually, Sunshine was built that way by the factory in 1993 -- with a king-size stateroom on the starboard side and a less-than-queen-size room on the port side. One of the benefits is that the off watch and on watch don't have to wake one another during changes since the bed is entered from the bottom rather than from the side. Of course, the downside is that the port side stateroom is significantly smaller but, since we use that room as a garage 98% of the time, it's really not an issue. We love the extra room in "our" stateroom and it wouldn't occur to us to change it back when the time comes to sell our baby.

Perhaps someone from PDQ can explain how it was done, but it appears to have just been a matter of moving the center bulkhead over a few inches toward the port side. I imagine it would be much bigger deal to do it as post-construction modification.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Phil, I missed the construction of your boat at PDQ by a couple of months. I'd love to see some pics. Where does your baby stay attach. James
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Jim:

No problem. We're getting ready for a guest to come aboard for a few days, so it might be a week or so before I can get to it. Stand by.

Phil
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Hi, James:

Our guest is gone and I took the attached photos of Sunshine's forestay today. We don't seem to have a babystay at all. As you may know, the original owner, John White, was a marine architect. I don't know how much of the modifications were his ideas and how much were the factory's. We're just very happy that they were made.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
Attachments
CIMG3014.JPG
CIMG3014.JPG (126.32 KiB) Viewed 15848 times
CIMG3013.JPG
CIMG3013.JPG (125.45 KiB) Viewed 15851 times
CIMG3012.JPG
CIMG3012.JPG (126.87 KiB) Viewed 15853 times
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Now THAT is different! Wow!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

CIMG3008.JPG
CIMG3008.JPG (112.42 KiB) Viewed 15790 times
Here are a couple of interior shots. Let me know if there are any questions.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
Attachments
CIMG3009.JPG
CIMG3009.JPG (116.17 KiB) Viewed 15774 times
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Phil, as Sandy says, Wow. I'm guessing that you have a self tacking jib on the starboard and a and Screecher to port on the forestay. I noticed that you still have the 2 lower aft stays. Does the mast pump ? Its nice to see new ideas. I have twin forestays on my trimaran, and love it. Hope to see your boat in person some day. James
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Hi, James:

Yes, the jib is self tacking and yes, the screecher (we call it a genoa) is on the port forestay. We haven't noticed the mast pumping but keep in mind we are new to sailing and it may be pumping like crazy for all we know.

We'd love to meet up with you as well and to see your tri. Where are you? We're at Brunswick, GA now and plan to leave for the Bahamas (Exumas, most likely) in late November or early December. We're having Thanksgiving with relatives in Palm Beach, FL but, other than that, we have no schedule. If you are anywhere along our route, give us a call at 317-366-8083 and we'll get together.

BTW, we were aboard "Someday Soon" (hull 36011) last night with the Bartolets, her original owners. As you may know, this was the first PDQ 36 built. It was interesting to see the differences and the changes that had been made over the years. They are still very pleased with their boat and have kept her in excellent condition -- including the addition of a hard top to die for.

Best wishes,

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Sunshine has in-mast furling? It seems likely that this mast would have enough fore and aft rigidity to resist pumping up to a point.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Yes, we have in-mast furling -- along with four electric winches and two electric windlasses. She's a lazy man's boat.

Phil
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

The photo are pretty amazing. I take it that the bulkhead (wall) is close enough to the center line to help with torsion and that the two head-stays negate most of the need for a baby-stay. Can we see photos of the berths also. Question: How is the bulkhead tabbed into the structure? You've proof that it can be done. We would really like to know how it was engineered. Harvey: did you engineer this?
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind