Hull #12 Possible Fresh Water Leak???

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Hull #12 Possible Fresh Water Leak???

Post by maxicrom »

All,

I've been finding water in my bilges lately and seeing damp areas around my water tank being. We are in fresh water so it is hard to tell exactly where the source is (fresh water tank or clogged deck hatch drain overflow). Yesterday I went through all of my water pump line connections both high and low side and filled the tank after clearing both bilges. Has anyone had issues with their fresh water tank - I don't see any way to access it without opening the settee area. I'm hoping that the dampness is from the top access cover which also was little wet after filling and any leaks from the old water lines that I replaced. With winter coming this is a concern as the regular dock water will be off and we will need to conserve between fill ups. I only see the fill, access cover, and the overflow fitting (to the thru deck drain) from the top of the water tank - does anyone know of other places that could be leaking from a full tank?

If anyone has dealt with this, what are the repair options - repair, replace, bladder??

Thanks,

MB
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Re: Hull #12 Possible Fresh Water Leak???

Post by Dan White »

In 4 cases, my water leaks all came from the exterior enclosure: one from a poorly seated stanchion on the life line; one from a loose navigation light, and two from failed sealants at the curved salon windows.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I have to watch the water level in my fresh water tanks as I fill them. If I over fill them, they leak through the inspection port seal. On the to do list to replace them but have not yet. If the tank in the stbd hull overfills, it leaks into the stbd bilge. If the tank under the salon settee leaks from overfill, it runs under the nav station and then into the cable raceway under the floor. Not a good thing. So I watch it carefully and don't allow them to over fill. I guess it is time to just change the rubber o-rings. Thanks for the reminder.

Sam
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

I have found lots of leaks/water sources in bilge.

Here are a few I found that may help you. 1) AC drain pan spills and drains into starboard hull bilge(not an official leak). 2) Overflow hose from fresh water tank hits 3 way 'T' on bridge deck, one of the openings is open (formerly the AC?) 3) Window leak in wrap around glass. 4) Genoa car slide leaks when rain & wind from right side and forms a dam. 5) overflowing lip on hatch above holding tank gets clogged, overflows to locker, leaks into space below just aft of shower stall. 6) Inspection port on water tank leaks. 7) hose fittings under head sink drip when under pressure. I'll probably find more. Hope its helps.

Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Mike,

I have had a similar situation which turned out to be the threaded fitting at the bottom of the tank which feeds to a hose and the pump inlet. I carefully installed a new plastic fitting (barbed) with teflon tape and added a shutoff valve between the fitting and the pump so I can service the pump without draining the tank. The tank seems quite robust and I would be surprised if it was leaking. I believe the tank was installed before the salon moulding so that it would need to be cut up to remove it. As mentioned, I would also check the inspection cover and overflow fittings.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Sam,

We had the same problem with inspection port. After replacing the o-ring it still leaked. Turns out the inspection port was cracked where the threads meet the top of the cover. It happens when the tank expands from being filled to the max. When I ordered the replacement port cover, the tank company mentioned that this was a common problem and the inspection port cover is poorly designed.

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

We always had a problem if we overfilled the tank. I think the overflow can't handle the filling volumn.
Roger and Bonnie
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Chris,
Where did you get the replacement port cover and o-ring?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Sometimes a little bit of vasoline on the o-ring will help with sealing.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Hopefully PDQ used the same tank manufacturer for all years, but double check your tank just in case. We have a single 85 gallon tank, with a 3" clean out (I think, but will double check today). Kracor was helpful with info on the clean out port cover. Cover and o-ring come together when ordered.

Kracor, Inc. – Tanks - Water & Fuel
5625 W. Clinton Avenue
Milwaukee, WI
(414) 355-6335
(800) 255-6335
(414) 355-8782 - Fax
http://www.kracor.com

If my memory is correct, Lewis Marine carried the parts but were difficult to deal with and I ordered directly from Kracor. I'll try to find some paperwork on the order to help out with part numbers.

Lewis Marine Supply – Wholesale Marine Supply Store
220 S.W. 32nd Street
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33315
(954) 523-4371
(800) 327-3792
(954) 463-7715 – Fax
http://www.lewismarine.com
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Thanks for all of the input... we got back to the boat today and I saw that the area around the tank was damp :? , so it's back to the drawing board. We only have a single water tank under the salon bench against the main bulkhead, and since we have an older model I think our tank is probably 30 - 50 gallons (1991). It does look pretty well made. We'll do our best to drain the tank and I'll replace the lower tank fitting and shutoff (with a new ball valve). The top of the tank was dry while the area aroound the tank was damp - so I guess the inspection port is OK for now. With a large area damp, it's hard to determine where the leak is. The accumulater appears dry - this last time I only trimmed the ends and reused the old water lines between the tank, pump, filters, and accumulater - I guess it's time to methodically go through the system to eliminate possibilites.

No peace for the wicked???

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

So I got my info all backward in the previous post. The parts came from Lewis Marine (01/2007). They deal with wholesale accounts, but they were gracious enough to grant me a "courtesy account".

3" Clear Tank Cover = Part #018-0048 ($8.93)
Cover O-ring = Part #023-0052 ($2.05)
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Located the leak - Tank is fine...

Post by maxicrom »

After considerable searching and testing I found the water leak - the reason that the tank area was damp is that with a full tank the fill hose fitting drips a little where the flex hose is glued to the end fitting (it attaches to the side of the tank). I'll have to fix it down the road - put a catch pan under it for the time being. This only leaks on a full tank - the main leak was on the pressure side where the water line had a joint before going under the settee. Major relief that the tank is in good shape, don't want to address a replacement with that effort. Top seals and overflow are all in good shape.

There are two spots in the teak and holley that are blackened along the sole bracing - does anyone know if there is a way to restore it from the water spots?

Thanks for the good input...

8) Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max