PDQ work tour 2009

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
James Power
admiral
admiral

PDQ work tour 2009

Post by James Power »

Hi all. Jackie and I are in the process of organizing our yearly trip south for the winter. For those who don’t know us, I was with PDQ for 15 years. This gave me the opportunity to work on everything from mould making, boat assembly, launch, commissioning, PDQ U, flotillas and 8 years as the PDQ roving warranty person. Jackie is my lovely wife who worked on the road with me and spent 4 years helping with the commissioning at PDQ. If you have any items that we can help out on, send me a private message thru the Forum, and we can discuss the job. James
lschut
deckhand
deckhand

Re: PDQ work tour 2009

Post by lschut »

Dear James:
I do have some work for you, and if Jackie and you would include Fort Lauderdale in your trip, we would be very happy if you will stay with us.
Luis
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Sounds good Luis. I'll email you and we can go over the items. James
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

James, please check your e-mail as I have a couple of minor issues in the Annapolis MD area.
Regards, Sandy Kramer MV- MISHIGAS Hull 68
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

James,

Remember those stiff throttles you noted on Sno' Dog last summer? We still got 'em. Boat is presently in Jensen Beach just north of Stuart, I'd be delighted if you could stop by and take a look if you're down this way. We'll be here until the end of January, then likely in the Bahamas in February to mid-March. (You could also meet us there if you like!)
Best way to contact us - besides e-mail, HClews@aol.com, is our cell phone: 603-443-2781.

Henry
mv 87 Sno' Dog
http://www.snodoglog.com
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hi Henry, sounds like a plan. I'll call you in the new year and we can work out the details. Hope all is well, James
David West
deckhand
deckhand

Post by David West »

James,
Perhaps I am a little late in replying but I certainly would value your opinion on a few problems, not least the two I have posted today. I live and keep my 1997 PDQ 36 outboard in Norfolk and would appreciate it if you would contact me. Phone 757-489-2879. We would be very happy to offer you accomodation should you be able to visit.
David West
bruce carroll
deckhand
deckhand

Post by bruce carroll »

When will you be back in Ontario?
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hi Bruce,I should be back in Canada around the end of march ish. I'll email you when I arrive. James
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

THANKS JAMES!

Poor Desert Star sat on the hard this past winter with blown out sails and two bent rudders. All wrapped up in tarps she looked pretty glum. Earlier this past week we got her cleaned up so she would look presentable when James came through on his way back to Canada. On Saturday I handed him a list of questions, repairs and projects.

He set to work on the rudders first. With Sandy's help and the socializing of our thoughts we formed a plan to use a 'come along', wood, tow straps, and line to 'crank' the rudders back into place. James' calibrated eye picked the right angles for straps and pressure points. I used a chain as a plum bob and Sandy gauged the spacing and stress on the steel.

It all worked like a charm and the rudders look as good a new. James is a miracle worker.

James finished the laundry list of tasks last night and is probably well on his way home today. His knowledge is incredible. He took on most of my 'to do' list and was very fast and exact in everything he did. I figured it would have taken me 10 weekends at least to do what he did in 2 days. The biggest benefit though was having him look over the boat to catch the things only someone with vast PDQ knowledge would catch. My quick calculations figured he saved me about $8000 over what the Yard would charge to do it.

Thanks again James!
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I too want to thank you James! You caught a problem I've been ignoring, and saved me at least a small fortune, hours of agony, and some major kick-me! The spirit of PDQ is alive and well, and still looking after us!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Thanks for the kind words. Hope you enjoy your summer and I'll see you next time around. James