Bent control cables

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
David West
deckhand
deckhand

Bent control cables

Post by David West »

Last year I bought two new Yamaha outboard motors. Yamaha has changed the configuration of the controls. Generally this does not present a problem but the cockpit throttle and gear leaver box has to be reconfigured for a push mode to the engine, rather than the draw mode to which it was previously configured. However what has always been a problem, is that due to the rather constricted path the control cable are led to the engine, they tend to get bent and hence stiff, requiring frequent replacement. With these new engines, the way the new gear control cable is attached to the gear arm on the motor, means there is an even greater bend put into this cable when the prop is raised from the water. Has anyone found a way of coping with this? Maybe one could re-rout the cables, perhaps one can tinker with the attachments or should one disconnect the cables when raising the prop?
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Re: Bent control cables

Post by Cat Tales »

David, we've gone through the same installation issues with the new 9.9's, but have not discovered any unusual bending of the control cables. To help you find a solution, take some pictures of the problem area and post them. I'll take the same pictures of Cat Tales and we'll hopefully see any differences in their arrangements.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Bent control cables

Post by Page 83 »

On Page 83 (hull 26) the cables route down thru the deck at a very shallow angle near the forward end of the nacelles. When I installed the new engines I cut away more of the opening above the nacelles and have enough room to reduce the bending of the cables. I still have a very tight clearance to the sides of the engines, especially at the steering cable tubes on the starboard side, and it could be easier to get to the spark plugs.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026