Storm Jib & Inner forestay

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Old PDQ Message Board
Site Admin

Post by Old PDQ Message Board »

Posted by Ed Ellis on March 18, 2004 at 20:38:00:

Linda (my captain) and I recently purchased Tranquility, a PDQ 36 - our first cat. Has anyone used a storm jib with a PDQ 36?

Is the inner forestay strong enough for a storm jib? Are storm jibs even recommended? Thanks, Ed

Re: Storm Jib & Inner forestay

Posted by David West on March 22, 2004 at 15:18:00:

In Reply to: Storm Jib & Inner forestay posted by Ed Ellis on March 18, 2004 at 20:38:00:

Sounds a great idea. I have been long tempted to do this. I have asked Simon Slater about this and he said that there would

be a problem leading the sheets back, nevertheless I think that this could fairly reasonably be done. He also said that the

attachment of the chain plate might be insufficiently strong to bear the strain of the sail. I have not proceded further as I

have not been anxious to test this warning under the circumstances that I might be wanting to use a storm jib. This said I

think there is an appeal in being able to tightly furl the jib and hank a storm jib onto the inner forestay. I have never had

the experience of stuffing a jib into the sail locker in a rising wind. Perhaps a "Gale Sail" is the answer.
I have an uneasy feeling that it might be difficult to beat away from a lea shore in a rising wind which my 9.9s could not

overpower. Of course it is ideal to avoid such a situation but it is reassuring to have a back-up plan. I would really

appreciate the comments of the more experienced cruisers as to how they might deal with this potential problem. D.W.