Anyone have icemaker on the flybridge?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Anyone have icemaker on the flybridge?

Post by Ross Bowling »

I have had problems with the fresh water (Shurflo) pumps for 2 years now. This last weekend while aboard, I sensed that the pump is working very hard to supply water to the icemaker that is installed on the flybridge (we hear the pump running to supply the icemaker after a drop of cubes, not at random times). The pumps seem to overheat and stop working. I cycle the switch on the breaker panel and the pump takes off. I lifted the bar in the icemaker to stop the machine from making ice (overnight) and the pump seems to be happy and works well. Thus my conclusion that the problem is icemaker related.

Should there be (or is there) a backflow preventer on the supply line? Would that help? It is a pain in the butt to need water in the galley and need to flip the darn switch. Could the run be to far and to a height that causes the problem? Am I the only sucker that has an icemaker on the top floor? ;-) Any Suggestions??????

Waterless, sometimes, in San Francisco.
Ross Bowling
NavyA4
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Anyone have icemaker on the flybridge?

Post by NavyA4 »

We have an icemaker on the flybridge that has always worked well. On the other hand, we've had water pump pressure sensor problems in the past. From your description it seems that your pump continually tries to push water to the icemaker, but the pump shuts off properly when the icemaker breaker is turn off or the bar is up. That indicates that the water pump pressure sensor is working. And do you eventually get a water filled ice cube tray (if the pump doesn't burn out trying) at which point the pump shuts off? If so, that sounds like water is not freely flowing into the icemaker. Maybe a blocked or crimped supply line would be my guess, but a guess is all I can offer at this point.
Steve & Hedy Fagan
M/V Volare
Hull #100
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

steve

We get water to the icemaker, and when it is working (turned on) we get a nice supply of ice. The problem is that the water pump stops working, so no water goes to the icemaker, or any where else, and the seitch at the breaker panel requires a cycle or two and then the water pump resumes working. When we turn the ice maker off by lifting the sensor arm, the water pump seems happy and does not shut off. . .. .Could it be haunted???
Ross Bowling
NavyA4
deckhand
deckhand

Post by NavyA4 »

Now I'm back to my (default) suspicion of the pressure sensor on the water pump. Haunted would be my second choice.
Steve & Hedy Fagan
M/V Volare
Hull #100
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

we were about to get a bridge icemaker installed but were advised to buy a portable one instead - - and it works great! Cost about $200, plugs into 120v and the first cubes pop out in 6 min. Just dump in a gallon of water and you have enough ice for days. When in transit I move it under the dining table to lower the center of gravity and protect the machine. Oh, I did replace the ac cord on the unit with a longer, heavier gauge wire because I don't like extension cords.

Bill & Fran Carlson
MV34 Easy Riders
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Bill, glad to hear the ice maker idea worked out for you. Ross, it seems there has been something up with your fresh water system since day one. I would guess that a majority of the issues are related to the cardboard you found in the water tank. It might be an idea to have the whole system flushed and examined. James
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

JAMES-

When are you going to be in the area? I would love to have your hands on the job! Coming to San Francisco soon? ;-).

We have flushed everything except the icemaker line. I guess we would need to remove the icemaker and disconect the supply line. Any hints on the easiest way to do that?
Ross Bowling
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Ross, remove the 4 to 6 screws around the perimeter of the icemaker and it should slide right out. The screws may be hidden by plastic plugs. The supply line will be 1/2" blue "whale" tube with a reducer to fit the 1/8" icemaker line. I have my doubts that the icemaker is causing the pump to labour. If cycling the breaker seems to fix the problem I would guess an electrical or another pump / pressure switch issue. The pump itself acts as a backflow preventer as long as there is no debris in the diaphrams. Debris can prevent the pump from maintaining pressure which will eventually burn it out. No plans on a trip to the west coast at present, but who knows. James
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

J-

Thanks for the update. The plan is to pull the icemaker out and give it a good flush. Last weekend while aboard, the darn thing made ice all weekend and I did not need to cycle the switch once. Maybe it is haunted afterall. ;-)
rb
Ross Bowling