Rudder packing

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Rudder packing

Post by Mary & Roger »

I have searched all of the books, & pamphlets I recieved with the boat, not a word about how to tighten the rudder packing!!! Please let me know where to go to get the procedure, or tell me... Thanks, Roger on Teamwork Hull 62
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Rudder packing

Post by James Power »

Hey Roger,
Use a LARGE pair of channel locks, adjustable wrench, or pipe wrench and loosen off the lower locking nut a few turns. Then tighten down the large packing nut. The adjustment of the packing nut is a judgement call, depending on how bad the leak the condition of the packing , and how many times it has been adjusted. Try by hand first. Then give it a 1/4 turn with the wrench. Retighten the locking nut, run the boat and check if any more adjustment is needed. Start with the starboard side first, as it has much more room. Hope this helps. James
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Thanks James, the davits worked just fine. Have you made it to the Islands yet? Hope we run across each other sometime, we are in Marsh Harbour. Roger
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Roger,

We are going to spend this year exploring Georgian Bay and then hopefully the Islands the next year. If you are in Marsh Harbour can you do me a favour and stop by the Moorings base there and say hi to O.B. ( O'brian) for me. WE worked together there a long time ago, Just before David Rohr took over the base, and lost touch. Thanks James
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

James, will do... Roger
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

ok guys,

on a related note, what size packing do you use on the rudder? this spring i will need to replace.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Duetto, if memory serves, I believe its regular 1/4" flax shaft packing. After removing the old stuffing, cut the new packing ring ends to meet at a 45 degree angle, and install 3 of them. Hope this helps. James
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

thanks james.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23