MOB retrieval on PDQ Powercat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

MOB retrieval on PDQ Powercat

Post by Mishigas »

After having some thought on how to pull a large, wet and exhausted MOB victim on board I thought I would ask my fellow cat owners how they plan to pull this off should the situation arise. My question is, you have the victim in the life sling at your aft transon steps but he/she is unable to climb aboard due to either being uncounsous or exhausted. Where would you attach a block and tackle to correctly "pull" the victim aboard. I would think that dragging the victim up the transom steps could be problematic but without a swinging boom, how would you folks do this? Where would you attach your tackle rig to facilitate this retrieval? Any thoughts? Thanks, Sandy K MV MISHIGAS
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: MOB retrieval on PDQ Powercat

Post by Page 83 »

My very old fashioned davits work just fine because they can support a couple hundred pounds, hoist 5 feet above the deck and pivot. I suspect an outboard engine hoist would work as well.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
thinwater
admiral
admiral

How about placing stiff cockpit cushions on the steps?

Post by thinwater »

I have done this hauling other heavy objects up stairs. An inclined plane is pretty useful.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

The Davits on my Powercat don't swing and on my model (2005), they are not high enough to get anyone on aboard. I gather on some model PDQ's different situations exist but still looking for a solution. Thanks Sandy, Sandy K MV MISHIGAS
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

From my sailing days I carry a lifesling on the stern of the boat. We hook the davit lifting blocks to the lifesling and hoist. We can get the MOB up far enough to swing onto the top step and drag him ondeck. If your davits are not high enough, could you use the windless to get someone onto the foredeck?
Ross Bowling