Bottom Paint?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Bottom Paint?

Post by Ross Bowling »

I am hauling the boat next weekend and am wondering if anyone knows what the bottom paint that PDQ used near their end of production? It would be helpful to be able to tell the yard what they used. We are Hull 114.

Any help would be useful.
Ross Bowling
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Bottom Paint?

Post by SecondWind »

Ross, Don't know what the factory used, but we have had extremely long life from Petitt Trinidad SR (2 years +).
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

THANKS, That is one of the 3 at the top of list. I am hoping to be able to tell the Yard what PDQ put on the bottom to be sure that there is not a problem putting the Trinidad over the WHAT EVER. ;-)

rb
Ross Bowling
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I think they used a Petit Ablative. I switched to Micron Extra with Biocide and am pleased with it's performance.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Paint compatibility is not a big issue; there are just two rules: Put ablative over anything after roughing up the surface with 80 grit, and don't put a hard bottom paint over a soft one. Hard bottom paints are required only if the boat goes fast enough to erode ablative; that's about 20 knots.

Everybody has a favorite paint. Unfortunately what's good in cold saltwater isn't quite so good in warm brackish water, and neither are worth a flip in fresh water. Check local yards to see what works in the local situation
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Well, after much discussion with the Yard Owner, he is arranging for the Bay Area Interlux Rep to be at the marina when we haul the boat next Tuesday. He figures that between the two of them they should be able to determine what is on the boat. Once that is known we will go forward. While SF Bay is Salt Water, we do make an annual trip to the Sacramento Delta which is fresh water. We will be putting a paint on the boat that will withstand a couple of weeks a year in Fresh Water. I will post to the Forum when we have made our decision.

Thanks for all of the advise
Ross Bowling
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Whatever is growing on you hulls when you go from salt water to fresh water will die in a week or two, and whatever you pick up in freshwater wioll suffer a similar fate when you return! Admittedly the other Bay is pretty cold, but a light scrub with a scrunge will keep everything honest.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi ross,

i'd target the paint where the boat sits. you'll get virtually no growth when boat is moving or sitting for short periods.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

OK, hauled the boat this morning. She will get 2 coats of Trinidad Black, acid wash the props and rudders, get a few zincs and splashed on Friday Morning. Pics of the trip out of the water are on my website, www.rossbowling.com. Look for "Vita Bella @ KKMI". KKMI is the yard and the new Marine Travellift is named the" Haully Green Giant"
Ross Bowling
Charlie34E
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Charlie34E »

Elixir is in Isle of Palms, SC and I have had good luck with Micron 66- 2 coats and a 3rd 16" waterline strip. Going into my 3rd year. I am very diligent in cleaning the bottom every month during warm months and every 2 months in winter- do a lot of it myself- till water gets too cold for an old man!!