Tach/RPM Readings

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
h.Mika

Tach/RPM Readings

Post by h.Mika »

For the past two days, I have elevated tach readings after engines are turned off (previously, the guages were at zero with engines off). Two days ago, both tachs registered about 200 rpms after engines were turned off (both tachs the same, at helm and on flybridge). Today, they are closer to 500 rpms (both tachs the same, at helm and on flybridge). While underway, the tachs seem to be alright (that is, rpm's match up to knots I normally expect). New boat, low engine hours (115). Any ideas would be appreciated . . . thank you. I have a few hundred miles to go before getting home.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Re: Tach/RPM Readings

Post by Ross Bowling »

I will also get that happening when I turn off the flybridge keys before I shut the engines down at the inside helm. I am now in the habit of stopping the engines from the flybridge, waiting to see that the tach drops to 0 and then head down to the cabin to turn that set of keys. I was being to fast to turn the keys off and did not let the tach drop to 0.

Hope that helps.
Ross Bowling
h.Mika

Post by h.Mika »

Spot on, thank you! Stop engine, take a breath, and turn the key off. Just couldn't imagine what was going on. Need to take more breaths.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Glad to help
Ross Bowling