access to bilges?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
duetto
admiral
admiral

access to bilges?

Post by duetto »

hi all,

we have accumulated some water in the bilges. i know because when we go to get up on plane it runs aft. when we stop/idle, it runs forward, not to be seen. there isn't enough water to activate the pumps but it's still quite a bit. i don't like the idea of going into the engine room while running hard.

so the question is where in the hull is the water pooling at rest? has anyone else had/solved the problem? i was thinking of installing an inspection port in the floor of one of the "bathtub" but i'm not sure where to locate it.

all ideas welcome.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: access to bilges?

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Hi John,
There must be a low spot somewhere under the floor in the cabin..just forward of the engine sump and below the storage compartment. I just removed about two gallons of water from the starboard side by sponging it out of the sump below the head floor but there was still more that I could not reach.

The port side is different in that the only place forward of the cabin to access the bilge is under floor below the the fridge.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi ron,

only access we have is on the starboard side way forward and that's dry. my guess it's under one of the "bathtubs" either in the staterooms or at the bottom of the steps. i'd just like to hear somebody confirm that before i start cutting.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
jgonnerman
skipper
skipper

Post by jgonnerman »

try using a wet dry vac and sliding the suction hose along the space just forward of the "tub" accessed from the engine space. after getting the bulk of the water out just throw in some sponges and sop the rest up. i placed water in this space by overflowing the shower sump. it would flow aft under way
John Gonnerman
San Diego Ca
"Westend Express"
2002 34 Hull 20
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi john,

i assume that you used the vacuum technique and that the water pooled under the "tub" in the stateroom?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

We've accessed the port bilge under the floor below the refrigerator. One or 2 people standing on the port bow brings any water to this point. I have seen very little accumulate in months of cruising.
I too would like to know, how could I do a similar thing on the starboard hull. Where should I put the access panel? My MV 34 is a 2003 (separate shower/head) which seemed unchanged in later models.

Oh, and what is the 'tub' you refer to? Is it under the engine?
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi bill,

no, i use the "tub" to refer to the recesses below the floor boards in the state rooms, galley, and on the head side center. we have a 2003 w/o the split head.

i'll be drilling a hole over the next couple of weeks, and i'll post results.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23