Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Post by Mishigas »

When having my 4 blade props installed last spring my mechanic mentioned that my cutlass bearings are wearing and may need replacement soon. :o Has anyone here had to replace their cutlass bearings in their PDQ's? How long should these bearings last? How do you know when to replace as the boat runs great with no drivetrain issues to my knowledge.Thanks for you feedback. Regards Sandy K. mv MISHIGAS
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Post by duetto »

hi sandy,

when to replace them will depend on play where the prop shaft exits the stern tube. i think i remember seeing .075" in pdq manual, but check on that. wear is exacerbated by operating in shallow water with sand, getting line wrapped on shaft, etc. we've replaced ours and teamwork has replaced theirs so it is fairly common for high mileage boats. you can do it without removing the shaft.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Re: Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Post by Mishigas »

Thanks for the reply John. Not sure how much play I have currently but I'll check it this spring. As far as high mileage I only have about 800 hours on my mains but like anything else, stuff just wears out. Anyway it shouldn't be a big job to replace with Shafts in place. Thanks again for the input as it's alway great to tap into the PDQ college of knowledge.
Sandy K mv MISHIGAS