Anyone installed a boarding ramp?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Anyone installed a boarding ramp?

Post by rkimble »

Our home marina (fixed dock) can make it pretty hard to get on or off in certain tide situations, including from the stern steps. Wondered if anyone has ever installed a boarding ramp or other ideas?
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Re: Anyone installed a boarding ramp?

Post by Allezcat »

Check out the Solvit deluxe telescoping ramp for pets. A fellow boater used one on his boat and it was strong enough for adults and stowed easily.

Chet
Allezcat II / MV34
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

Thanks Chet. Will do.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

My wife has had knee replacment, so I know where you are coming from.

We don't have a ramp, but we do use a very small and light block-and-tackle to pull the boat tight to the dock for boarding. It helps.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Post by billp »

I built a passarelle for our dog out of an eight-foot aluminum ladder. To keep it super light, I covered the space between the rungs with wood strips and flat hard foam over top. I attached rubber protectors on one end to protect the boat and two wheels on the other end, so the ramp can move with the tide.

The ramp was meant for our dog, but my wife walks up it just fine. With a little modification, it would likely support a heavier person.

It hangs onto the stanchions by the side gate, parallel to the side of the boat, and it can swing out to avoid a piling. Short straps clip onto the railings for support and are adjustable.

If there is a way to post images on this forum, I will do that if you would like. Some of the commercial ramps are rather expensive and complicated in my opinion.
Bill
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

aThanks so much for the great suggestions. Yes, pert of the problem is getting our dog on and off without crashing to to concrete.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

My wife has had a knee replacement and has difficulty when we are stern tied. I made a "ramp" using a 1" thick, 2' x 5' pre cut piece of shelving material. I took a small boat fender, cut it in quarters and used them for the 4 corners of the ramp after I painted it and applied non skid to the walking portion. I ran line through the eyes of the fender quarters ( the small fender had a line eye at both ends. I used those 2 eyes on one end of the ramp) to allow us to tie it to the steps and raise & lower the ramp.

Works well, stores in the port forward lazarette ( generator area). I am a big guy, and have no problems using the ramp.

I will be glad to send photos if you would like. Cheap and effective solution to my problem. Shoot me your email address & I will send you photos.
Ross Bowling
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Post by billp »

I'm going to try to post an image of the dog ramp I made to see how posting works. I found Salwa's instruction on the forum.
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

I was at the boat this weekend and took some pics of the little ramp I made. The dimensions are 18" wide x 4' x 1" thick. K bought this as a pre cut piece of pine, painted it white and then painted non skid on the top. I took 2 small fenders, cut them in half and slit one side to wrap around the ramp. I attached some small line to be able to tie to the boat to keep the ramp stable. Depending on the dock height, I put it on either the first or second step. All of our docks are floating so it makes it easy.

I have 3 pics and will send them to anyone that is interested, send me an e-mail & I will shoot them off. rossbowling@mac.com

rb
Ross Bowling