plumbing in the head or is it plumbing on the brain?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
amytom
admiral
admiral

plumbing in the head or is it plumbing on the brain?

Post by amytom »

still trying to get our new toy in the water. Lots of little things to fix. The latest two are in the head. The sink drain was loose as I tried to tighten it came apart in my hands. The question here is: in home plumbing I would bed the drain in plumber's putty, is it the same for boats? It was "glued" down with RTV.

The shower pan: I tested my shower pump and found that I get more water draining into the bilge than into the shower sump. How do you get to the fitting in the shower pan so I can replace the hose?

The AC install is coming along; I find that everytime I start working on it I need some other part that I don't have with me UGH!
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I would use the same putty as home.

To get to the drain connection on the pan, I removed all of the screws and lifted the pan out. Not sure of another way in unfortunately. Are you sure the water is coming out at the drain and not around the pan where it is screwed down?

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

By the way, I am not sure of your hull number, I am not sure of the pan configuration in the newer boats with the aft shower behind the plexi doors, my shower and pan is forward of the toilet bowl with no doors to separate them.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

The newer hull numbers you are referring to have a one-piece head/shower drop in unit. The only access to the shower sump is through the access hatch below the shower seat, or by taking out the lower medicine cabinet.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I should have mentioned earlier but this is a 32. The shower is a one piece unit. Lower cabinet removal doesn't seem help. There is an access cover (4") near the the head but I still can't get my hand under the shower pan. Do I remove the fitting from the pan by unscrewing the top half and pull out the lower half with the hose?

BTW Sam I was at the marina yesterday. Is that Direct TV hooked up on your boat? Now I know where to watch the games :)
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Yes it is! I use it at the dock. But I have an HDTV LCD on board and get awesome over the air HD while on the water with a simple "rabbit ears" type antenna.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL