Does your PDQ36 have rudder post bearings?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Bacchagato
1st mate
1st mate

Does your PDQ36 have rudder post bearings?

Post by Bacchagato »

We are the new owners of 36075, formerly Distant Music.

We recently removed the port rudder for repairs, and was surprised at the lack of a delrin or other plastic bearing between the rudder and hull. The post housing flares out about 1.25" from the bottom of the hull, giving the impression that there used to be a bearing there... but our starboard rudder setup is identical, with a rudder post sitting insides a fiberglass tube, unsupported where it exits the hull to enter the rudder.

We have spade rudders with the protective skegs, if that makes any difference.

Does everyone else have a bearing between the rudder and hull, or is the open space at the base of the rudder post supposed to be there?

Any comments would be most welcome, thanks!

Morgan Goring & Bonnie Marks
Bacchagato
Currently lying Pensacola
Bacchagato
S Slater
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Does your PDQ36 have rudder post bearings?

Post by S Slater »

Hi
Yes there should be a bearing there. The bearing is UHMW plastic manufactured for us by MAS precision in toronto. We relied on an adhesive like sikaflex to keep it in place. I would suspect that the bearing has worked its way up the rudder tube. I would check with a flash light.
Simon
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Sunshine »

Good luck and safe sailing with your new boat. Out of curiosity I wonder if you can tell me what holds the ruders in place. On my boat (34002 with hydraulic steering), it appears that the quadrant (bolted to the rudder post) is doing the job. I have a little wobble in the port rudder... makes me think that I should check out the bearing. Thanks for the info.
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ
Bacchagato
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Bacchagato »

Simon-
You are correct, upon closer inspection the bearing is present, but has worked up inside the tube quite a ways. Thanks for guiding us in the right direction, it should be easier to reinstall the existing bearing than new ones.
The forum is awesome!
Morgan & Bonnie
Bacchagato