DIY boatyard in GA, SC or NC

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

DIY boatyard in GA, SC or NC

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Sunshine is in dire need of a bottom paint job and I plan to do it myself. So far, I haven't had much luck finding a DIY yard that can handle our 18' beam, It seems that the big yards that can handle the beam don't allow DIY and the small yards that do allow DIY can't handle the beam -- Catch 22. Sunshine is now at Brunswick Landing, GA and we plan to head North from there, so,if you are aware of a good, cheap DIY yard in Georgia, South Carolina or North Caroline, please let me know.

Also, I'm leaning toward three coats of Interlux's Micron 66 paint over a coat of their Primocon primer. I hope to avoid any sanding by using the primer. What little paint is on the hull now is TBT-based, but very little of it is left. It has been at least three years since it was last painted and, besides, we have a grounding or two since then.

Since this will me my first paint job, any other suggestions or offers to help (Ha, ha!) will be most appreciated.

Many thanks and fair winds.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine 36036
Tel. 317-366-8083
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: DIY boatyard in GA, SC or NC

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I have used Hurrricane Boatyard in Bayboro, NC for the last 4 years. In fact, I think the owners of my old boat still have it there. The yard has a 21 ft travel lift and allows DIY. Their charges last year were about $360 to haul, powerwash and launch and includes the first month of storage. Storage after that was $140/month. Their number is 252 745-3369.

It is located at the end of the bay river. The Bay River is located just below Hobucken on the ICW.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Many thanks, Ron. We will definitely check them out. Their prices sound very reasonable compared with the other yards I have contacted. I'm just not sure I would have named the place "Hurricane."

Phil
richard beberman
deckhand
deckhand

Post by richard beberman »

Two diy boatyards are located within 50 miles of Brunswick, Ga.
St Johns Boatyard in Jax
St Augustine Marine in St Augustine,Fl

Dick Beberman CatCh 22 Fernandina Beach, Fl
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Bock Marine
230 Core Creek Road
Beaufort, NC
252-728-6855

North of Town on the ICW just before the first 65' bridge.
Plus, if you need to have anything jobbed out, they have the cheapest rates and best work anywhere.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Dick:

Thanks for the suggestions. Our hope is to find something north of where we are at Brunswick Landing so we don't have to backtrack. Also, we'd like to stay out of FL until 'cane season is over. If we can't find something north, we may just continue to poke along with our nasty bottom until we get south again. We may also wait until we get to Titusville. Rich on Feral Cat is there and I know he is dying to help us.

How long have you been at Fernandina? I'm sorry we missed you there. In May, we spent a couple of bouncy, twisty nights at a mooring there on our way up to Brunswick. Great place, but those currents make things interesting. We nearly beat the mooring ball to a pulp with our hulls. Once, I looked out at the fleet and no two boats were pointing in the same direction. The dockmaster told us that they always have current running in three different directions there and I believe him.

Terry:

Thanks! I like the idea of good work done cheaply. Once we get hauled and start peeking around on the bottom, there may be other projects we'll need their help with. I will call them on Monday.

Phil
richard beberman
deckhand
deckhand

Post by richard beberman »

We live on a river just west of the city marina at Fernandina a wide spot in the road called yulee. Here,s my phone # 904-261-7672 call whenever yo,.r in the area and we can guide you to a quiet and non rolly anchorage -- My thought was that its better to start a journey with a clean bottom. Particularly with 5.00 plus fuel. Dick Beberman CatCh22
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Thanks again, Dick. I agree that we need to deal with that bottom sooner rather than later. I now have some scuba equipment and will try to, at least, give it a good cleaning before we leave the dock. We'll certainly be calling you when we do get in your area. You are lucky to live in such a neat place. We look forward to meeting you.

Phil
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

I worked on a 36 PDQ at hurricane boat yard and would NEVER recomend this yard. Jarret bay boatworks, just north of Beaufort N.C. is a good yard. James