on engine fuel filters.....off

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
duetto
admiral
admiral

on engine fuel filters.....off

Post by duetto »

hi all,

this is an offshoot of the thread on the fuel filter light. in that thread simon slater said that yanmar had a known problem with vibration which in turn caused the fuel/water light to malfunction. he suggested that one option was to move the filter off of the engine. i had been considering moving it for quite some time, but for a different reason. i found it very awkward to change the filter due to its close proximity to the injection pump gear case.

so i decided to move the filter to the side of the hull. i made up a pad from plywood and marine-tex'd it to the side of the hull. the new bracket was made out of a "jim buoy" holder cut in half. i also used the yanmar bracket together with the rubber vibration damper. the input hoses were long enough but i had to make up new hoses to connect the output to the injection pump. i used color place almond spray paint (part# 20016812) from walmart which is an exact match to pdq's interior hull color.

the project was straight forward and took about 8 total hours to complete. i will report in on how it works out.
Attachments
Hull mount
Hull mount
FuelMount.JPG (84.19 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
Final installation
Final installation
FuelFilter.JPG (104.43 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: on engine fuel filters.....off

Post by duetto »

hi all,

i promised to post results but never did. i apologize. it's been the better part of 2 years since i moved the filters. i can report that since i moved them the warning light has not come on and that changing the filter has become much simpler with no spilled fuel. there have been no negatives to this project.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23