NOAA Charts combined with Google Earth

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

NOAA Charts combined with Google Earth

Post by Kokomo »

The following was posted on http://www.cruisersnet.net - this is a great site and an excellent resource for planning your cruise:

Google Earth Now Combined with NOAA Nautical Charts
Published: June 11, 2008
Google Earth (High-rise satellite photos) now offers alternate NOAA nautical charts views
for the Eastern Seaboard and the Gulf coastline. What's great about this service is that
you can locate a marina, anchorage or channel by using the familiar NOAA charts, then
with the click of a button, look at high-res satellite imagery of the very same
waters/marina. Now, that is what I call a USEFUL tool.
We may very well find more ways to make use of this unique service service here on the
Salty Southeast Cruisers' Net in the future.

http://demo.geogarage.com/noaa/

Check it out and zoom in All Raster charts of US on google earth.
Roger and Bonnie
phild
skipper
skipper

Re: NOAA Charts combined with Google Earth

Post by phild »

Great site! Thanks for posting,
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: NOAA Charts combined with Google Earth

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Interesting artifact...

While Gina and I were sailing the BVI over the last 2 weeks, we noticed a weird anomaly with the charts. I have both rasters and vectors of the BVI and noticed an offset when going through the pass between Virgin Gorda and Mosquito Island to the east. When overlaying the charts over Google Earth, the same offset exists. Only place I have seen this happen. Anyone have any ideas?

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL