Ground Tackle

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Ground Tackle

Post by carib sailor »

Just wondering what everyone carries for ground tackle?
Last edited by carib sailor on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loki
skipper
skipper

Re: Ground Tackle

Post by Loki »

I have a Delta 35 with 50' chain and its never let us down. A few weeks ago it held nicely in 40+ kts t'storm while the boat next to us drag a CQR around the anchorage. We carry a Fortress FX-23 as a secondary on the other bow, with 20' of chain. I share your opinion about resetting, but its not that much of an issue when using two anchors off the bows, or a lunch hook. Also, a Fortress in the "mud" setting is probably the best in soft mud.

I know many people claim "bigger is always better," but I've been using Delta's (a smaller one on my last boat) for about 15 years and they have never dragged after being set on a good bottom. I'm not convinced a bigger hook does that much better in bad conditions, like soft mud or grass. In a large blow, I'd probably be happy to pull a folded up large Fortress out of the bilge and use it with the the two bow anchors.

One thing, if the windlass fails (or should I say when), you won't think "bigger is better."
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

When I first bought Tanah Keeta (36089), it came with a 35 lb CQR and 25 ft of chain. I found out fairly quickly that 60 ft of chain was better. I had to use a 15 lb. kellet on the 25 ft chain to keep the rode from wrapping my keels. The extra length of chain resolved the problem. As to the anchor... my back up was a 35 lb Delta. I have equal confidence in the CQR and the Delta. The CQR was always my primary anchor with the delta being used as secondary for current situations.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

After a couple failures from my Fortress last year, I bought a Rocna over the winter. I bought the 20 KG (44 pounds) model. I'm using 50 feet of chain and 200 feet of rode. This thing is everything I ever wanted in an anchor. It sets on the first try and doesn't drag at all. It's a little expensive, but worth the extra money..
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

The Manson Supreme, a Rocna knock-off, supposedly performs as well at 1/2 the price.

Marc
PDQ-Dave
skipper
skipper

Post by PDQ-Dave »

On Pacifica we think that one should carry a minimum of 150' of 5/16" high-test (5/16 HT) chain and at least two anchors suited to the bottom types found in your cruising grounds if your average anchorage is 15' or less. On the Pacifica we use 150' of 5/16" HT chain backed up by 200' of 5/8 nylon rode and a Danforth for soft bottoms and a Delta for harder bottoms. Our secondary rode is 50' of 3/8" and 200' of 3/4" rode.

We like to anchor shallow (i.e. less than 10') and utilize a 10:1 if possible, but never less than 5:1. If there is not enough swing room with 5:1 then we go find the room somewhere else. If we see other boaters on chain and rode combinations we never anchor near them as they tend to drag in our observations. We live aboard and anchor out about 240 days a year on average over the last three years so our obeservations are based on quite a few "data points"

On our 2.5 year trans-pacific cruise we carried 300' of 5/16" chain on our 40' mono and almost always used a 55lb Delta as it was most suited to the bottoms we encountered. From time to time we used a Fortress FX37 on soft bottoms.

Bigger anchors are always better, but we believe MORE chain is most important.
Dave Kane
Previous owner of Pacifica #36068
http://www.DKsail.com
http://www.PDQ36.blogspot.com
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

My PDQ 36 has the aluminum Delta (16lbs) from my old mono-hull and 100+ feet of chain. I have a 38lb Bruce as backup and a large fortress. Both have 35' of chain and 200' of rode.

My experience with the Delta has always been good. In my mono-hull that 18lb Delta and 35' of chain held us, and another boat through a thunderstorm with gusts to 60 kts.

I used to crew on an old 1930s ketch and we daisy chained 2 anchors on a single chain rode for storms. After a Noreaster in Huntington Harbor Long Island it took us about 8 hours to get the anchors up.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
Bacchagato
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Bacchagato »

We're new at this, but spent 16 of the last 30 days at anchor on Bacchagato. The boat came with a 35# Delta, 15kg Bruce, and a Fortress FX16. The first 2 have 50' of 5/16 chain and 200' of nylon rode, the FX is on 15' of 1/4 chain and 150' of nylon as a stern anchor.
The first couple of nights, we had a hard time getting the Delta to set, so once in Clearwater we purchased a Manson from West Marine. The Port Supply price on the Manson 35 is $309... the equivalent ROCNA is $500 thru Port Supply, but of course there are zero in stock. So for an extra $100, you could actually have two Mansons instead of one ROCNA. While I'd like to get a ROCNA, the 2-for-1 cost and easy availability makes the Manson a no-brainer.
The Fortress has been working well as a stern anchor to hold us in place and prevent swinging or twisting of the rodes. I think if you keep the pull on it in a single direction, it works very well, especially in the mud bottoms we've had between Pensacola and the Keys. The Bruce can be pulled out of mud by hand, easily. The Manson has been setting on the first time, every time for us, and once set I cannot get it out by hand... it requires the windlass or sailing/motoring out, even in mud. The basic concept of concave digging anchor seems to be superior to the convex plow, but we haven't had any sand in the past month, either... so we'll see how it goes in the Bahamas.
Anyone need a 15kg Bruce or a 35# Delta? I'm thinking of selling both, and getting another Manson to hang on the port bow. Both anchors are currently at Fiesta Key, heading for Key Largo then Bimini.
Fair winds,
Morgan & Bonnie
www.bacchagato.blogspot.com
Bacchagato
thinwater
admiral
admiral

There is nothing like a good anchoring thread

Post by thinwater »

to get the blood pumping!

I have used Delta, Danforth, Northill, and Fortress anchors; they are all good but have limitations. If I had to use only one anchor it would be my Delta, but only because I have not used a Rocna/Manson which appears to be similar but better - the next generation. The Danforth and Fortress will not reset if pulled out backwards, and the Northhill could foul (one fluke sticks up).

But I don't have to use one anchor. If in any doubt of very strong winds or strong reversing tide, I use 2. A Fortress will out pull anything, pound for pound well set in sand or mud, and as long as I control the direction, it can't come out. For anchoring in 6 feet of water:
* Lower the main hook and let out ~75' of chain (all I have - the balance is rope). Attach to bridle.
* Lower a second anchor from the stern with ~50' of line (no more and not attached to the boat). I use a Fortress with 6' of chain, stored in a stern locker. Bring the bitter end to the bow, outside the shrouds, and shackle or clip it to the primary chain a few feet below the bridle.
* Set both anchors in your favorite manner.

No tangles since the single chain can swivel. Neither anchor can see the pull change more than ~ 45 degrees and so they should not come out unless they are far too small. The second anchor can be raised in the AM without moving the boat, while the primary is still down. Set the big Fortress toward where you thing the real wind will come. If for some reason the set is bad (unless you dive on an anchor you aren't sure), the other anchor may save your bacon. But I've never had one give when set twin. It is movement that pulls anchors.

Try to set 2 anchors from the bow with the long lines secured to the boat and if the tide swings you 360, you will be unwinding them for an hour.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Has anyone ever had a keel wrap on a PDQ?

Post by thinwater »

It sounds pretty unlikely with a low aspect keel.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

i should probably start a new thread but i'll start this here.

i'm interested in the manson/rocna. we're on a 34' powercat. we currently use a 45# spade. we've only had one case of dragging and that was in grass in the bahamas. we've learned the spade needs time & power to burrow through the grass. i've been told that the rocna/manson cuts right thru and grabs.

my question is on the manson. it has that slot for the shackle to slide down the shank. in a tide against the wind situation where the boat rides up over the anchor, couldn't it pull out backward?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Has anyone ever had a keel wrap on a PDQ?

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

thinwater wrote:It sounds pretty unlikely with a low aspect keel.
You don't get a keel wrap, but in wind against currrent, the anchor line can rub at the leading or following edge of the keel to hull joint. On Tanahkeeta, it actually rubbed through sufficiently to cause a hole. This is when I changed to 60 ft of chain from the stock 30 ft.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Duetto,
There are two places to attach the rode to the anchor on the Manson. There is a hole at the top of the shank, where it's normally connected. The slot is supposed to be used in in rocky areas, where it may get snagged, and by pulling in the opposite direction you might get the achor to release. I have my doubts about that theory. I think what I might try in rocky areas, is to rig a trip line to the roll bar, so that I could try to lift it from there.
I have a 35# Manson, and so far I LOVE it. I had a 35#CQR that served me very well, but the few times it failed could have been disasterous. Anchoring in the same areas now, I've been very secure, so far.
Marc

P.S. Anyone looking for a 35# CQR, $150
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

marc,

have you anchored in grass/weeds at all? that is very common here in abacos.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Bacchagato
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Has anyone ever had a keel wrap on a PDQ?

Post by Bacchagato »

Tanah-Keeta wrote:
thinwater wrote:It sounds pretty unlikely with a low aspect keel.
You don't get a keel wrap, but in wind against currrent, the anchor line can rub at the leading or following edge of the keel to hull joint. On Tanahkeeta, it actually rubbed through sufficiently to cause a hole. This is when I changed to 60 ft of chain from the stock 30 ft.
I agree with Ron, we had a 2" deep slot cut into the rear of the starboard keel from anchor rode, and lots of little dings on the trailing edges of both keels. Maybe something to do with the trailing edges being vertical, that snags the rodes?
Bacchagato