anchor

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

anchor

Post by Mary & Roger »

Has anyone replaced the anchor that came with the 34? We anchor mostly in clean sandy bottoms and find that during a strong tide change we have trouble maintaining a good grip. Which kind and what size have you changed to...also, did you add more chain? Thanks, Mary & Roger
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

Re: anchor

Post by Gadzooks! »

Gadzooks! (MV 34 #33) was delivered at Annapolis in October 2003, right after the boat show. We specified a 35 lb Delta in the original order, but the boat was delivered with a Kingston, generally similar to the Delta. We returned the Kingston to PDQ (James and Jackie Power found room for it in their choc-full van) and bought a Delta at the local West Marine, for which PDQ reimbursed. We have 40 ft of chain plus 250 ft of 1/2 inch rode. We have to anchor in 60-80 ft depths and need more rode than would be required along most of the eastern seaboard. Some anchorages in S.E. Alaska have taken all the rode. We also carry a Fortress F-16 stored in a forward locker but have used it only once. The Delta has been quite satisfactory - usually in mud. We have no coral out here, and not many rocky or sandy anchoages.

In the '90s, Practical Sailor conducted some anchor tests. They found the Bruce set the best - not 100% of the time, but in the high nineties. Next was the Delta, slightly lower. The Fortress was somewhat harder to set. However, the Bruce was not high in holding power. The Delta was better. The Fortress was much, much, much better. Tho these test are not totally definitive because of all the variables involved, I think the results are generally valid. Since then, the Spade and the Rocna have appeared, and seem to be well thought of, judging by the boating magazines.

For a sandy bottom, I think you cannot go wrong with the Fortress or another Danforth-type anchor. They are at their best in sand and their holding power gives them a definite edge over the Bruce or Delta. The Fortress has two positions - one for sand and one for mud. It also has an accessory "mud shoe" which changes the "angle of attack". I don't have enough experience to judge whether these features are worthwhile, or needed. The Fortress is light weight and easily disassembles, which can be advantageous in some situations. You would have to carefully look at how the Fortress (or any other anchor you are considering) would work with the PDQ bow roller. And the chain and rode have to be compatible with the gypsy on your windlass.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33
DickTuschick
admiral
admiral

Post by DickTuschick »

Hello Mary,
If you have not already purchased another anchor, you may want to look at the new ROCNA anchor. It is just another variation of the Delta type, but with a few unique features that may make it a better all around anchor. As a test, I put one (ROCNA 20) on Heron and it has been 100% in about a dozen uses. We have rafted with a 41 and our 34 in 25 knts and no problem. It has always set instantly. This is definitely oversized for the 34, but when at anchor, I sleep really well at night!!
Have fun!
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi mary,

we've anchored out approx 150 times in our 3 round trips to fl & back, including the abacos. we've used a 44 lb spade with 40' of chain and we've never dragged. with that said if i were buying today i would probably go with the rocna. as dick points out i think it has a few improvements on the spade.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23