MackPack Lazy Jack Sail Covers

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

MackPack Lazy Jack Sail Covers

Post by maxicrom »

I was looking at the MackPack Lazyjack sail covers - with the boatshow coming next week it looks like a pretty good product to check out. II the Max is a classic 36 with the stock Lazyjacks so we were wondering if anyone has refitted with the MackPack - and if it requires modifications to install? we are on our second Bimini repair from the sail cover rubbing a wear spot across the edge because the boom was hanging an 1/8" too low. The MackPack looks to be well made product that provide easy dropping and flaking of the main and also let us store the boom at a reasonable angle without rubbing through the bimini.

This forum has a lot of experience and I'd appreciate any comments,

8) Mike & Linda
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: MackPack Lazy Jack Sail Covers

Post by amytom »

Not sure about the name brands but I made my own stack pack clone. Not too difficult and well worth it! Sail drops right into the pocket and zip it up. If were do to it again I would have made it a little looser as it is snug to zip up near the mast. Total cost with materials from SailRite was about 3 or 4 hundred. (can't remember)
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

we had a mackpack on our gemini 105. it was a very good product.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Thanks for the feedback... looks like a good product.

MB
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I bought a custom sail pack from Troy at www.indycanvas.com and have been very happy with it.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Amytom: Do you still have any sketches, seam allowances, etc for your stack pack? In in the planning stage to make my own. I ordered some fiberglass tubes from McMaster-Carr, and already have lazy jacks.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Sandy,

Sorry but I can't seem to locate my notes; they may be on the boat and I will look for them when I can. They may not be too helpful anyways. I started by looking at Sam's cover and drew my design from that.
When making it the first step was to create a zipper panel (per Sailrite instructions) Then I cut the sides with a one inch hem on the bottom and about a 3 inch hem at the front and back. The top was folded over into a little ove 1" loop. The zipper panel was then sewn at the base of this loop so that when the zipper is closed you get a cross section like: 0__0 with the sides dropping down from the zeros. The bottom of the two halves I joind with webbing threading slides onto the webbing. (My main is loose footed) The front has the 1/4 turn fasteners to hold it to the mast. The back I just put a couple of cheap grommets so it can be tied to the back of the boom. The pockets created by the 1" fold over house 3/4" CPVC to stiffen the sides. The lazy jacks are attached near the top by webbing sewn as small loops. For the measurements, just tie your sail up as you would normally and hold a tape from the center of the boom around the sail to the center of the top of the bundled sail. Make this measurement every foot down the length of the boom. Keep in mind the extra couple of inches for the pocket and I would also add 6 inches to loosen it up and make it easier to zip.
I will keep looking for my notes but hopefully this will get you started.

Tom
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Sandy,
Maybe we can do a team project on this... We'll do some more research at the show. A friend of ours is part-timing at a canvas shop and open to side work. I don't think the sail covers would be major project if the materials were prepared and ready to sew.

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max