Hydraulic steering cylinder

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Hydraulic steering cylinder

Post by Mary & Roger »

Has anyone had to change a single steering cylinder. Can it just be installed, and bled with the helms, or is a pro with a vacuum machine necessary ? Roger & Mary "Teamwork"
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Hydraulic steering cylinder

Post by duetto »

hi mary,

when we first got our boat it had a cylinder replaced. the yard did not do a good job at bleeding which i subsequently did. it was adequate, but i suspect that there is some air in lines between cylinders. so i think a full bleed job is the way to go, but haven't figured out how to get at the port one w/o removing water heater.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

To answere my own question, the cylinder can be changed with a new one, and can be bled at the lower helm be holding a quart of fluid above the pump and turning the wheel many times. If you take the new cylinder in/down/back with you it will be a one time trip. Don't forget to remember where the autopilot arm is positioned.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

which cylinder did you change? if it was the port one, what did you have to move/remove?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

John, it was the starboard cylinder, but you can bleed the whole system by using the plastic fitting and hose that fits the helm, and a quart of fluid. you won't need mush, so have a container to put left over in. Skinny friends may be able to do port side by going over HWH, glad I didn't have to!!!!
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

couple of fup questions:

1) when you disconnected the hoses, a) how did you plug hoses b) how much fluid did you lose?

2) where did you get the replacement cylinder? how much did it cost?

3) why didn't you add fluid thru the upper helm station? did it have a tendency to overflow?

john
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

I took the old cylinder off first, put new cylinder in place, then the lines off the old and on the new quick. did lose fluid, but very little. West Marine will get it for you, about $400.00. I toped of the top helm after all air was out of the new cylinder. The hydrolic pumps won't overflow if you use the fitting for replacing stearing oil. When you remove the fitting and hose, you can rotate the wheel a little and the fluid will suck into the pump. You will loose about a table spoon of fluid and it looks like a lot. Old towels will be your friend!!! Roger