PropSpeed

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
NavyA4
deckhand
deckhand

PropSpeed

Post by NavyA4 »

Does anyone have experience with "PropSpeed", a product designed to diminish marine growth on the running gear?
Steve & Hedy Fagan
M/V Volare
Hull #100
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: PropSpeed

Post by duetto »

hi steve,

i know bill beach on beach magic has used. if he doesn't respond, i'll get you in touch with him.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
GEORGE
deckhand
deckhand

Post by GEORGE »

HOPE YOU ENJOYED ABACOS THIS WINTER.
I ACTUALLY TRIED PROP SPEED LAST YEAR ON DAWN. THEN I HAD TO REMOVE AND RE-INSTALL ONE PROP
SO IT WENT ON POLISHED WITHOUT PROP SPEED.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, BOTH PROPS LOOKED THE SAME. VERY FOULED. OF COURSE, MY MOORING IN MIAMI
HAS THE WORST FOULING I HAVE EVER SEEN.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi steve,

don't know if you ever heard from bill beach, but assuming you didn't, i'll give you his abridged impressions. he would agree with george. he did not have very good results with it either. his best results were with petit's 3 part system. metal etch, tie-coat, and hard antifouling. he convinced me to try it this summer. we've put about 2500 miles on the boat since, 5 weeks sitting at a dock in stuart, fl and 1 month at a dock in marsh harbour, bahamas. i am amazed at how well it has done. not 1 barnicle and no other kind of growth. only problem is that the tips wear away and will need to be redone this summer. at this point i'd have to say i've found a solution to keeping our running gear clean.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
NavyA4
deckhand
deckhand

Post by NavyA4 »

Hi John,
That is very good info. I have taken notes, as I usually do when I hear from you. Unfortunately, I will have to wait to use your method the next time, since I had to make a decision recently and went with the PropSpeed product. It will be worthwhile to make a comparison of how each product holds up under similar conditions, especially if Hedy and I are able to get to FL and The Bahamas next winter, as we are trying to do. I will let you know how PropSpeed stands up to a Summer in Annapolis. Thanks again. Your PDQ knowledge and experience is always helpful!
Steve
Steve & Hedy Fagan
M/V Volare
Hull #100