100 HP dipstick

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

100 HP dipstick

Post by Mary & Roger »

100 HP engine oil dipstick, I know I read somewhere how it is to be positioned, but can't find the info again. I get a large difference from one side of the dipstick ,and the other. I have switched to synthetic [Amsoil], and I'm not using oil, I just don't know which side to use.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: 100 HP dipstick

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

The ring on the top of the dipstick should face toward the front of the engine. I find that I get better readings if I have the boards removed from under the bunk versus just the front with the steps. The dipstick removal is vertical rather than at an angle.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Thanks Ron. Where is that written, I know I saw it somewhere?
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I think it was on the yellow tag attached to the dipstick when the engine was new. Also... another interesting piece of data is that the difference between the full mark and the low mark is 2.3 quarts.....close to half of the capacity.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
MOC
deckhand
deckhand

Post by MOC »

I sent an e-mail to mastry engine center regarding the length of the dipstick on the 4jh3-hte 100hp engines. I was told by another boat dealer that they are too short and make you think you are burning oil. He told me to they leave the oil level at the low level and check to see that it goes no lower. Told me to do the same and if the oil level stays put don't continue to refill, it is an incorrect length dipstick. Mike
LastCat
deckhand
deckhand

Post by LastCat »

i have found the 75 hp the 100 hp and the 110 hp all similar in that one ide of the dip stick will read approx 1/4 different from the other. i go by the high reading because all dipstick have a rubber seal that mates with the tube which pushes the oil down the tube when the stick goes in. to get an accurate reading do not push the stick in and out quickly. when left in longer oil reading will usually be the same on both sides. ed mv115
LASTCAT