Prosine off or on?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Prosine off or on?

Post by Ross Bowling »

When I leave the boat at the Marina, pluggd into to shore power, I disable the inverter (Prosine 2000)and leave the charger on. When I got aboard on Friday, gone for 3 days, there was an internal error message on the diaplay. I cycled the prosine unit and all was well. This got me to thinking about the procedure as a whole. I would like to get some feedback as to what the correct procdure or at least the most common settings when you leave the boat for a week or so.

I went to the archives and see that there is a 2 year warranty on the units. Since my 2 year window closes at the end of October, should I be in contact with Prosine? Is it difficult to replace the unit? Mine is in a cabinet n the Master Cabin. I will need to hire one of the "Little People" to get to the serial # ;-)
Ross Bowling
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Prosine off or on?

Post by duetto »

hi ross,

we had and went thru 2 prosines. they had many problems with early models (pre 2005 i think). they had a complete circuit board redesign at that point, but i've lost touch with the results. ours was in that closet also. it's a straight forward replacement. after our second failure i switched to a victron and moved it into the cabinet in front of wheel.

you don't mention what the error code was. does it pertain to inverter or charger? we always left both inverter and charger on when were at a dock and only shut inverter off at night on anchor.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Thanks I did not record the error. Should have, but was trying to get the system up. Hopefully just a glitch not bigger problem.
Ross Bowling
jbrad
skipper
skipper

Post by jbrad »

Hi Ross,

Mr Busy is MV 059. We have always left the inverter in the disabled position and the charger in the on position at the dock and on shore power. We did have a similar error message once a couple of years ago and cycled just as you describe. We have never had an issue with the operation of the Prosine since. Hope this helps.

Jimmy Bradley
Mr Busy
MV 059
MR BUSY
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

Thanks, I appreciate the input. It seems that the configuration that you describe is the most favored one and I plan to keep doing what I have been doing!
Ross Bowling
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Hi Ross,
Like Mr. Busy.... I only enable my inverter when there is no shore power present.. like at anchor or when there is a power outage and I am on the boat.

I just replaced my third remote panel. This one seems to work.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108