bleeding the steering?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
duetto
admiral
admiral

bleeding the steering?

Post by duetto »

hi all,

i'm in the process of replacing both steering rams. after replacing them i will need to bleed the system. the technique described in the pdq manual which came with our boat is very different from the technique which teleflex documents. the pdq technique seems to be substantially easier. it appears that it recycles the fluid past the cylinders up thru the system to the upper helm fill. the idea being the air in system will rise and escape thru the upper helm.

has anyone bled their system? if so which technique did you use?

i really hope james powers comments on this :)
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Re: bleeding the steering?

Post by Mary & Roger »

John, I bled my system at the lower helm. I used the fitting and pipe that came with the boat. Suspend the fluid upsidedown, poke a hole in the bottle, and turn your steerind lock to lock until you feel or see the cylinders fully extend both ways. It may take a lot of turns, but beats being in ths bilge giving instructions to someone at the helm. The lower helm doesn't have a vent as the upper does. I left the bottle suspended over night and gave it a few turns the next day. top off the uper helm, and you should be good to go.
I sent an e-mail to you also.

Roger C.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

P.S. Dont forget to align your rudders. I let mine go for a couple of weeks, they got way out of adjustment. Hard to steer at 2000 rpm's.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

roger,

thanks for all the info. i do have a fup question. when you disconnect the bottle from the lower helm, does fluid come flowing out?

we started bleeding today using cellphones on speaker.

btw, i've swapped portside w/o moving hwh, i removed battery and exhaust fan. i was even able to get back far enough to tighten the packing on rudder shaft.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Lower bottle, and let the fluid run back, move wheel a little eather way and the fluid will be sucked into pump. Remove fitting and install plug. You may spill a little, but not much. Roger C.