New Hot Water Heater

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

New Hot Water Heater

Post by Mary & Roger »

Does anybody know if the fittings to the domestic water can be taken apart?? The heater was installed flush on the fiberglass, and when the rudder shaft leaked, salt water ate holes in the case, and the liner. I will set the new heater on something to keep that from happening again.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: New Hot Water Heater

Post by duetto »

roger/mary,

are you asking whether the water lines can be removed or if the heating tank and cover can be separated?

assuming your boat has the force 10 water heater, we had the very same problem 5 years ago. we replaced it with an isotemp. i didn't do this, we had it done. so yes, it does come apart and can be replaced.

btw, the force 10 tank is aluminium. in my opinion this is a recipe for disaster as you've seen first hand.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Hey John, What I ment for my Question to be is how do the water lines come apart, is there some way to separate the pipe from the fittings? Attwood makes the same size, W/ stainless tank.
I hope y'all are having a good Memorial weekend. Roger
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

roger,

i personally have never undone the fresh water in and out, but aren't they just whale 1/2"(?) hard tube fittings? they should just unscrew. the engine heater in and out are just hose barbs. i believe any water heater will work. it will just be lining up the hard tubing with the in/out on heater. home depot sells the hose fittings now.

make sure that the tank is ss.

we've had a good holiday so far.

let me know how you do and fire away on questions.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23