Dock Power GFI's & the PDQ

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Dock Power GFI's & the PDQ

Post by Ross Bowling »

Some of the Marinas here on and around San Francisco Bay are installing GFI's on all dock power outlets. When I plug into one of these beasts, the boats systems fight with the dockside GFI and shuts the power to the boat down on the 120 vt panel. Is there an easy and temporary way around this? I am not wanting to run the Genset for power when I am out cruising. Gotta love the regulations that are put in place to save the idiots. ;-)
Ross Bowling
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Dock Power GFI's & the PDQ

Post by James Power »

Hey Ross,

The onboard galvanic isolator is tripping the shore GFI. One way around this is to remove the in line fuses on the isolator. If you follow the wires from the unit you will see some black fuse holders at the panel. Dont forget to turn off all power first.

James
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

James et al

I found 4 fuses directly on the back of the 12 volt section of the breaker panel. I took them out one at a time and the galvanic isolator lights did not go out. I took off the cables on one side of the Zinc Saver, and the lights did not go out. Any other suggestion? I would really like to figure this one out as the State of California is trying to save us from ourselves ;-)

rb
Ross Bowling
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

The fuses are on the 120 volt AC side, and by removing all 4 fuses this will take the isolator off line. James
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I wondered about that. Mine only seems to do it when I have over 20 amps load, and only occasionally. It was 20 degrees out side and I was disinclined to investigate.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Post by Ross Bowling »

James-

I find 4 purple fuses in black holders on the upper 12 volt portion of the panel. Are these the guys? or do I need to unscrew the white cover on the lower 120 volt portion of the panel to access the fuses in question? Is there an easy way to wire the galvanic isolator to one of the spare switches on the panel to make this switch easier?

Ross
Ross Bowling