Raymarine Pathfinder compass problem

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Charlie34E
deckhand
deckhand

Raymarine Pathfinder compass problem

Post by Charlie34E »

I have a 2005 Raymarine Pathfinder Plus RL70C integrated with a Raymarine SmartPilot ST6001. Suddenly can get no lock on a bearing with the autopilot and when try to "Align" or "Linearise" the compass, I get the message "Warning- No compass detected." I have put a meter on the 4 leads from the compass to the computer box and all are almost exactly on specs- which tell me the compass and cable are OK. Any suggestions from the group that I could diagnose the problem. I have tried Raymarine- several times by email- but have gotten no response at all. GPS chart/plotter seems to work fine. Hate to call the dealer service tech if there is something else I can do myself. Thanks!!
Charlie on board Elixir
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Re: Raymarine Pathfinder compass problem

Post by Mary & Roger »

I have had to swing mine several times. The directions are in the Auto pilot book.
Charlie34E
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Charlie34E »

I have done that before, but I never had a warning that no compass was detected. I thought if there was no compass detected, it would be useless to do that. If you had that same warning yet swinging the compass worked, let me know and I'll do it right away!! Thanks. Charlie on board Elixir
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

Curious that the fluxgate tested ok, but the course computer idoesn't see it yet otherwise functions normally. While I'm sure you tested all the lead combinations, just in case here is the test pattern Raymarine specifies.

Red to Green: 4 ohms; Red to Yellow: 4 ohms; Green to Yellow: 8 ohms; Screen to Blue: 8 ohms; All other combinations: open
You are looking for a short or open. Plus or minus 2 Ohms is allowed.

I had a problem with my fluxgate - held course but on some headings reading was consistent with gps and on others, 15-30 degrees off. I tested out the leads per above and all were within spec. Replacing the fluxgate solved the problem, so I'm not sure how much weight I'd put on this test as being all inclusive. On the other hand, could be a course computer issue. I'd try calling Raymarine tech support direct line at 800-371-9438 and see if you can differentiate between a bad fluxgate and course computer. Be sure to give them the model number of the course computer as these have gone through several generations (fluxgates haven't changes in years). Hope this helps.

John Sawyer
Katlin
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Charles, I decided to get a new compass, least expensive I found was $146.99 at Defender 800-701-3400, or defender.com Roger C.
cruisingbluewater
deckhand
deckhand

Post by cruisingbluewater »

Also, if you go to raymarine.com look at their knowledge base. That has been a wealth of infomation.

Stuart
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

One more idea might be to check around the area of the compass for something that has changed - such as a large piece of metal nearby. If the error is large enough it might cause the connection error. I can replicate what you are experiencing (except for no compass found) by putting a large butcher knife or hammer by it. Hope this helps.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
Charlie34E
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Charlie34E »

I have replaced the onboard computer with a newer model- one that has a gyro compass. Seems to hold a course now, but still get the same warning that no compass is detected. the tech that is helping me says that this may be that the initial set up was using NMEA rather that all Seatalk (all the set up was done in Canada with the PDQ's, and maybe that has something to do with it??) That a module to be added may help, but that is to be seen tomorrow!! At least the auto pilot is holding a "point and shoot" course. We will "swing the compass" tomorrow and see if that will take care of the problems. By the way,the RAymarine tech-- Jeff Collier out of Mt. Pleasant, SC- is really helpfull and seems-- so far at least-- very knowledgeble and honest!!! I emailed Raymarine support several times for help and got NO response!! I'll keep everyone posted.
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Can the compass wire be cut, and new compass wire be spliced? Solder and heat shrink. Or, will the old wire pull the new one thru??? Thanks in advance, Roger C. Teamwork
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

Fluxgate compass' signal by way of resistance in the electrical circuit. So cutting and splicing might not be a good idea.

See this link for more info: http://raymarine.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/r ... _topview=1
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD