PDQ Engine Mounts for 75hp Yanmars

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

PDQ Engine Mounts for 75hp Yanmars

Post by Bargain Bill »

My starboard engine needs new motor mounts. It transmits significantly more vibration to the hull than the port engine. Does anyone know:
1. Are these standard Yanmar parts?
2. Can you replace just the rubber or is the whole mount a single unit?

Once the above is known, I plan to lift the front off the current mounts (about 3" should do it) and replace with new mounts/bushings. Then do the same with the rear mounts. Any suggestions on how to best raise the engine?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Bill Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
cruisingbluewater
deckhand
deckhand

Re: PDQ Engine Mounts for 75hp Yanmars

Post by cruisingbluewater »

Yes, these are standard Yanmar parts and you can NOT replace the rubber. You should also consider Barry Mounts.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I don't know if the 75 hp mounts restrict removal of the water pump as the 110 hp do... If so, you might want to ask Yanmar if they have alternate configurations to choose from. My instructor at Mack Boring indicated that they made better mounts than PDQ used.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Post by jim »

What are Barry mounts?
mckdj12
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

Barry Controls in Massachusetts specializes in vibration control mountings of all types. I've left several messages but have not heard back yet. I'll post my findings as to whether they have engine mounts for the Yanmar/PDQ installation.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Katlin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Katlin »

If you have Aqua Drives installed, they have their own mounts.

John Sawyer
cruisingbluewater
deckhand
deckhand

Post by cruisingbluewater »

http://www.barrycontrols.com/products/p ... d=9&fid=42

Here is the web for barry control. I believe that they make the mounts that Mack Boring recommends. The only thing you need to look into is that I believe that the outside dimensions are a little less than the Yanmar and you will need to drill new holes into the engine bed. I think that is well worth it since they are much better than the yanmar mounts.

Stuart
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

i believe mastry marine in fl market a set of mounts to eliminate the water pump interference problem that ron mentioned. they were pricey though.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

I installed the Yanmar mounts - - the extra work alligning new mounts with a different bolt pattern was a little intimidating. Also, the cost for 4 Yanmar mounts was $600 vs: $1,000+ for other mounts. Disconnected the exhaust and lifted and replaced the rear mounts; then lifted the front of the engine and replaced the front mounts. The biggest problem was that the bolts holding the mount(s) to the hull dropped down when the nuts were removed. I am told that in later models (after 2003) they attached the bolts to a stainless connecting bar which eliminates this issue and adds strength. Total time to replace was 6 hours. Could have done the next one in 4 hours but decided to wait until it was necessary.
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD