New Jersey ICW

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
billp
1st mate
1st mate

New Jersey ICW

Post by billp »

I am new to the forum, and look forward to the PDQ community. We are new owners of 41-08.

Has anyone traveled any portion of the ICW in NJ aboard their PDQ? My wife's family wants us to visit them this summer on Long Beach Island, but none are boaters, so they don't understand things like birds standing in the middle of the "channel," or shoals.

I normally skip right by the Jersey coast...as far offshore as possible. But it is worth asking with a boat better suited for shallow water cruising.
Thanks!
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Re: New Jersey ICW

Post by Mishigas »

Hi BillP, congrats on your new 41. We have voyaged on the Jersey ICW from Atlantic City to Cape May several years ago and found alot of thin water...even on a 34. We were traveling south down the coast from NY when the weather got snotty so we decided to come inside at AC. Not shure about now, but even within the markers we found the bottom. I would only do only do on a high tide unless you have local knowledge. Ran aground two seperate times on that run :oops: . Soft bottom though. Welcome to the board!
Sandy K MV MISHIGAS
billp
1st mate
1st mate

Post by billp »

Thanks, Sandy. That's what I figured.
BillP
Spitfire / 4108
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi billp,

we've done all or part of the nj icw about 4 times. lower part is shallow in spots but our take is if you watch the channel and consult skipper bob it is easily doable. we have done in many tide heights. one thisng is to be avoided is if you have strong (25+) easterly or westerly. it can blow water out of channel depending where the channel is relative to the wind direction.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23