Transducer in head bilge

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Transducer in head bilge

Post by Spoff4 »

New PDQ owners here.
I see several PDQ owners have installed a second transducer in the starboard hull in the head bilge. The posts I have seen do not indicate whether the transducers were "in hull" or "through hull". (In hull meaning the transducer sits in the bilge and shoots through the fiberglass. Through hull means the transducer is installed in a hole through the fiberglass.) Has anyone installed an in-hull transducer in the head bilge?
Does anyone know whether the bottom of the head bilge is indeed the hull itself or is there a gap between the bilge and the actual hull? (Tapping on the bilge bottom sounds like it is the hull, but looking for confirmation.)
Thanks.
-George
Tampa Girl f/k/a Lulu
MV34 # 60
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl
Gadzooks!
skipper
skipper

Re: Transducer in head bilge

Post by Gadzooks! »

If you don't get an answer otherwise, direct your question to James Power, who has worked on PDQs for years, and is a frequent poster on the PDQ Forum.
Mebs and Wally Gilliam
Gadzooks! MV34 #33
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

i think you have the "new" style head layout, so take my comments with a grain of salt. we have the original head layout and if you are talking about the hull beneath the shower floor, it is the actual hull.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

We had a second transducer installed in this area. No Through-hull required, just epoxy to the bottom of the head bilge. Works great and gives us a depth reading for each hull. With 16 feet of spacing, it can come in handy.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL
Mishigas
admiral
admiral

Post by Mishigas »

Hi George, I have installed a thru hull transducer below the head floor. Our boat is a 2005 model year and the bottom of the head bilge in in fact the bottom of the boat. We did drill a hole to install this thru hull transducer and it works very well to have a second depth finder.It's very informative and helpful to see what depth is under both hulls.
Sandy K. MV MISHIGAS
Spoff4
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Spoff4 »

Thanks to all.
The answers were precisely what I needed.
George and Anita, Paul and Susan
Tampa Girl
MV 34 Hull #60
Tampa, Fl
rkimble
1st mate
1st mate

Post by rkimble »

You're welcome. Noticed you are the new owner of former Lulu. Congrats. We are pretty new also having picked up our PDQ in May. Lots to learn and LOTS to do. Good luck.
Russ and Nancy Kimble
All That Jazz
MV34 #79
Fort Myers, FL