Portlight Replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Nick
admiral
admiral

Portlight Replacement

Post by Nick »

Before going deep down the Google rabbit hole I thought I’d ask if anyone has tried to replace the lenses on their Bowmar portlights. I can find Bowmar lenses that are close, but with only tabs on bottom and not with the additional side tabs we have on our ‘05. Of course I could try to polish ours to new, but I think they might be too far gone….I have tried pretty much everything.
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Re: Portlight Replacement

Post by MikeH »

Hi Nick - you may want to check with Bowmar directly:

Tracy West
Bomar Customer Service Rep.
603-826-5791
bomar@pompanette.com

Tracy has been great in chasing down parts, and they can custom make to order.
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Bowmar was responsive, but have asked for part numbers. Does anybody know the part numbers for the portlights installed on the 2005’s and/or the forward trapezoidal hatchcovers?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

I've found it to be challenging to find the correct Bowmar part number ... very challenging.

If you look in the vicinity of the hatch hinge, there may be a sticker with a Bowmar serial number, which may give a clue. The first 4 digits may be the series number. For instance 2000xxxxx may be the series 2000 hatch.

You can also try sending a photo to Tracey, although she may be buried in those types of requests.

Hope this helps !
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
Nick
admiral
admiral

Post by Nick »

Thank you Mike. Hatch # was easy to find on hatch itself, but portlight more problematic. Tracy was very responsive initially, but warned they were buried with requests. She asked I send a pic of portlights with measurement. I believe Bowmar still makes a similar model, but without the “ears” on either side. We shall see.

Unfortunately, I’ve got bigger fish to fry now…..see “black smoke”
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

When it comes to replacing the hatches, I used a place in Fort Lauderdale that will make replacements. You either need to take them there and they will cut them while you wait or mail the old one to them to use as a template. I had the do the forward hatches and they fit perfect and match the others perfectly. I would assume they can do the portlights also. Each hatch was $160, I believe Bomar was more than double that. http://yachtwindows.com/cesany/

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines