SS tubing for transmission cooler

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
Don & Robbin
1st mate
1st mate

SS tubing for transmission cooler

Post by Don & Robbin »

Does anyone need the tubing. It is in good condition, no holes, and it's free.
Don
pdq039@gmail.com
Nick
admiral
admiral

Re: SS tubing for transmission cooler

Post by Nick »

I have same tubing and am tempted to have as back up, but wondering why you’re swapping it out. Are you doing something different going forward?
Nick & Barb
Catsaway
2005 PDQ34 #66
Don & Robbin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Don & Robbin »

Nick,
I jumped the gun when I posted this. My mechanic has talked me out of giving them away. I need to delete the post. We have repowered with 110 HP and 30M transmissions (have one, other on back order). I still have the old 75 HP's and the 25M trans (still using one). He suggested keeping the complete installations. Hope all is well.
Don, Robbin & Dory
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

i believe cat daddy eliminated the tubing and used rubber hose. not sure how he dealt with the ends. maybe rafe will update us.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

Correct John, the 110 mechanical engines don't have the same oil cooler the other engines have, it's part of the oil filter base. So the hose routing changes quite a bit both in direction and in diameter. I used new Sendure coolers with the proper hose barb (much less expensive by the way), no more SS pipes.

Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
Don & Robbin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Don & Robbin »

We reused one of the original 25M transmissions since one of the new 30M was on backorder. The transmission cooler was replaced with one that has 1" ends. It is mounted on the same bracket. The ss pipe was replaced with 1" rubber hose. The outboard side hose was just straight 1" hose. The inboard hose is a preformed hose that was cut down to fit. I can get the part # if you need it, out of town right now.

Switching to 30M transmissions did present some challenges. They are smaller and the cooler is a small box mounted on the side. Two hoses feed the cooler. This cleans up the space. Every little bit helps. The 30M's are 1" shorter, fore/aft. We had previously replaced the plastic shaft savers with ss spacers. A second 1" ss spacer was added. More on alignment later. They are right hand only, so both props are RH. This is not a problem on cats since the props are so far apart. The benefit is needing only one spare prop. The 25M has a built-in neutral detente switch, the 30M does not. A new switch needs to be installed in the helm control, lower helm only. Again, I can provide the part # if needed.

Alignment/vibration - Over the years, I have heard a lot about shaft vibration, including mid-shaft bearing solutions. We had similar problems when we bought the boat. After the following work, you can not tell if our shafts are turning at 3400 rpm. Zero vibration. The shaft seals do not leak.
- Replace the motor mounts
- Replace the plastic shaft savers with ss spacers.
- Straighten shafts and align couplers to 90 deg
- Prop Scan the props, not cheap but worth it
- Replaced the shaft seals
- Align the motors to 2/1000 or less.

Feel free to contact us if you are considering repowering. It was more involved than I imagined but I'm sure it will be worth it. Many thanks to those who repowered before us and helped us through the process.
Don & Robbin
Ripple
pdq039@gmail.com