Prop/Shaft Nut Thread Size

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
brian.webb
1st mate
1st mate

Prop/Shaft Nut Thread Size

Post by brian.webb »

Unfortunate incident with a fender line, or more likely running over something (that I don't recall whatsoever) but I'm missing a prop nut and am curious if anyone knows the proper thread for our 1-1/4" shafts? Was thinking of buying this shaft kit:
https://propshopinc.com/1-1-4-quot-inbo ... haft-size/
Flip Turn - 2006 PDQ 34
brian.webb
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Prop/Shaft Nut Thread Size

Post by brian.webb »

Reply to this one. Dick Tuschick and James Power advised that the threads are standardized, so these work. Ordering now.
Flip Turn - 2006 PDQ 34
brian.webb
1st mate
1st mate

Post by brian.webb »

James walked me through what to do with a prop nut missing and I thought I'd share.

I ran over my fender line and jumped in the water to check things out. Nothing from the fender line but I saw that a prop nut is missing. The cotter pin prevented the main nut from coming off. There's a little clean spot on my prop indicating that I must have hit something (went about halfway up the Hudson river, so there was a lot of "something" to hit). So, the backup nut squeezed by the cotter pin and I lost it. The main nut has also backed down but the prop is still in place, as well as the key. I ordered a new nut kit (post above).

Note that the cotter pin wasn't properly installed
cotterpin.jpg
James advised that I put a wedge of wood between the prop and the hull, tighten up the nuts, and install a new cotter pin.

Attached video and pics shows what it looks like. For reference I put a pic of my port prop and I happened to have a picture of when the prop was redone.
video of prop
video of prop
flipturnprop2.gif (4.33 MiB) Viewed 3311 times
IMG_5113 1.png
IMG_5111.png
IMG_5118.png
IMG_5117.png
IMG_4022.png
Attachments
IMG_5114.png
Last edited by brian.webb on Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flip Turn - 2006 PDQ 34
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Brian,
The block of wood goes between a prop blade and the hull bottom. An 8 X 8 timber is usually big enough.