Has anyone installed a mini split?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
chrishead
deckhand
deckhand

Has anyone installed a mini split?

Post by chrishead »

Now that I have your attention, I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement for our aft Cruiseair reverse cycle. Though I don't think a mini split is a solution for the aft cabins because of the ducts to the two hulls. Does anyone have any brand/model recommendations other than Dometic? Webasto has a unit that is less money and has good reviews. Ideally the replacement would be a soft start with a remote control in case we change sleeping cabins.

Back to the mini split question. This seems like a great solution for the main cabin. The outside unit could be installed in a locker on the flybridge. You could run it while stored in or out of the water without fear of a failed hose or clogged strainer. And the 12v unit in the attached video could run without the genny while powering or with sufficient solar output. This setup was less than $1000. What am I missing? We just need more BTUs than is needed to cool/heat a van.

https://youtu.be/8Jk1L5WHGtw?si=OiN84dOMXiHoCCe1
Julie & Chris Head
"Headway"
2006 MV 34 #86 100hp
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Re: Has anyone installed a mini split?

Post by MikeH »

Hi Chris !

I hadn't considered the mini -split before, but it seems to make sense.

Back when I bought Easy Riders, I considered switching the aft cabin AC to a Mabru 12volt high efficiency unit (mabrustore.com), with the idea that it could run off the house battery system (after I upgraded to Lithium), so I wouldn't have to run the genset at night. Needless to say, it's way down towards the end of my priority list. (I'm working on your solar hot water plan now.)

The other tip I saw somewhere on the Forum, was to run a duct from the aft AC to the entryway steps to blow into the cabin. This could give a boost on hot days, or a little cooling if the salon AC went down.

I hope Hurricane Lee stays offshore !
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade
chrishead
deckhand
deckhand

Post by chrishead »

Hey Mike! I'm excited to hear that you are creating a solar hot water solution that we all can copy :lol: I can wait till you get around to installing the mini split because our main cabin a/c is relatively new. I think I'll just replace the aft unit with another 120v reverse cycle. The question is which brand to buy.

Where will you hunker down for Lee? Stay safe!
Chris
Julie & Chris Head
"Headway"
2006 MV 34 #86 100hp
MikeH
admiral
admiral

Post by MikeH »

Thanks Chris !

The Dometics have always worked for me - no complaints, and they are relatively easy to install.

The other thing that I've found very helpful is to use deck shades to get the heat load off the house and the side decks. My canvas guy had some leftover Sunbrella scraps and stitched them together to make a forward shade and side shades.

The forward shade attaches to the grab rail. For the lower support, I used a telescoping pole for a pool brush (stores in the locker under the galley floor). The receivers are some old fish rod holders that I cut the bottoms off and attached sideways.

The side shades attached with straps to the grab rails. I put buckles on the outboard straps so that the shade can be dropped quickly if needed.

Lest you think I'm a creative genius, I got these ideas from other posts.

Easy Riders and Island Time are standing by in Hamburg Cove, just up the Connecticut River from Essex. Twin Sisters is at a marina around the corner. Flip Turn is at a dock in Clinton. Hopefully Lee will stay offshore, but if he comes in, we'll run upriver to Wethersby Cove in Hartford.
Attachments
1000003471.jpg
1000003473.jpg
1000003470.jpg
1000003472.jpg
Mike Hendry
M/V Easy Riders, Gulfport FL
2003 PDQ MV 34
The Legendary Hull #29
75 HP, 3 Blade