Starter Breaker

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Starter Breaker

Post by bjgin »

Where is the starter breaker on a PDQ 34 mounted? We have Yanmar 110 engines and are heading south in FL and now are at Marco Island. We stopped to get fuel. When starting engines to leave fuel dock, the starboard engine was dead. Wouldn't start at all... totally dead. Called Yanmar and tech suggested to check starter breaker. But he said he had no idea where it would be on a PDQ. Need info on where to look for it. I can't find it.

With one engine we went to the anchorage and dropped anchor. We're stuck until we resolve this issue. If anyone can help, feel free to call or text on 407-921-6612 or email at nc-mtns@att.net.
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
makala
skipper
skipper

Re: Starter Breaker

Post by makala »

Check the battery switch behind the door in each stateroom (under the locker behind door when door is open)? Cycle switch they do go bad.

Also check that the motor is in neutral!

Hope that helps.

Doug
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

BJ, our experience may not be relevant, but just in case:

We have not had a problem with the 'starter breaker' on our 110's, however we have had to replace the starter relay on both engines (maybe this is a different name for the same part?). If the relay fails the engine will not start. The Yanmar part number is 719575-77510.

Unfortunately I don't recall where on the engine the relay is located, however if you search with the part number you'll find pictures on the web, which may help you loacate it on your engine.

I hope this is of some assistance, and good luck resolving the problem.

Cheers,

John
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

BJ, check the starter wires and be sure they are tight. They starter solenoid could also be shot.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

BJ, if it is the starter relay, the one on our 75HP engines is right under the starter solenoid and very difficult to get to. If you need to replace it, keep in mind that it is just a simple 12VDC relay and you do not need a direct Yanmar replacement part. Our replacement was an automotive relay that the mechanic mounted in a much more convenient location.

And as mentioned before, if the transmission neutral switch "thinks" the transmission is not in neutral, OR if the switch fails in the open circuit condition, the engine will not start. You can simply connect the two wires together to simulate the transmission being in neutral until you get a replacement switch.

Good luck.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

most likely the problem has been listed here, but here are a few more things: 1) if you have a voltmeter, test at trans neutral sw while someone else is trying to start. if you have voltage in but not out the problem is neutral sw if not, 2) make sure shift lever is truly in neutral. even a little bit not up & down will lead to "nothing". if these checkout then it's most likely in relay or solenoid.

good luck
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
kentmckee
deckhand
deckhand

Post by kentmckee »

We recently had a similar issue on our boat. Tracked it down to a broken terminal connection on the actuator lead going to the starter solenoid. The solenoid is located on the top side of the starter itself. The lead is a red wire that connects to a spade terminal. Had to use a mirror to see it. The connection likely failed while underway due to corrosion and vibration.
We had the starter relay relocated to the hull wall in front of the engines by Bart Belknap in Stuart last winter.
Paint the Sky
MV 34 # 44
75s, 4 blade
Don & Robbin
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Don & Robbin »

What transmissions do you have? The ZF 25M has the neutral switch on the transmission. We just installed 4JH110's with ZF 30M's that do not have a neutral switch. I installed switches at the lower helm, and bought extra switches as spares.
Don Sayre
Ripple
bjgin
skipper
skipper

Post by bjgin »

Thank you for all your responses. My problem is finding the where the starter relay is mounted. I know where the celloloid is.
BJ and Ginny Patterson
2004 PDQ MV34, #40, 110 Engines
FantaSea IV
The Villages, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

have you asked the yard that did the engine install? i would think they might be able to give you a good idea. if you can find the solenoid try following the wires away from the solenoid. one should lead you to the relay. i think.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
John&Ria
admiral
admiral

Post by John&Ria »

BJ, James Power should be able to advise you. He diagnosed and replaced a starter relay for us when it left us stranded at one of the locks on the Trent-Severn Canal, back in 2013. I believe he can be reached at james_power@rogers.com.