Refrigerator Temp High

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
brian.webb
1st mate
1st mate

Refrigerator Temp High

Post by brian.webb »

I have a temperature sensor in my fridge and pretty much over the over the 10 months or so (since I bought the boat) the temperature has been a consistent 35-38 degrees when set around 5 on the dial. Over the last few days it has crept up to above 40 degrees and I've turned the dial down, it's now at 3 but the temperature won't decrease, stuck at 40+. I've verified that the door is closed an no leaks. I've also defrosted it about a month ago (there is some frost buildup but it doesn't seem excessive).

Freezer seems OK. Anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

Thank you!
Brian
Flip Turn - 2006 PDQ 34
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Refrigerator Temp High

Post by AlanH »

Brian,

We were having similar issues at one time. Someone suggested taking the drip pan out of the refrigerator side. It made a big difference for us. Also, about a month since a defrost is about as long as we would go.

Others have increased the size of the power supply from the fuse panel to the fridge.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

we have a novacool side by side. you said you turned it down to 3, on ours colder = higher number.

do you know how old the fridge is?

has the outside temp gotten warmer? do you have the same food volume?

i would watch and see if it stabilizes at 40 or gets worse. if it stabilizes but won't respond to colder setting we're probably looking at the dial/thermostat. you might want to go to the highest(coldest) setting and see if you get a dramatic change.

if it gets worse, i would check voltage at the connection block on fridge.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
brian.webb
1st mate
1st mate

Post by brian.webb »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Turns out I needed to defrost. Plus I was backwards on the dial settings. 1 is warmer, not colder like I thought. I also saw a post from Russ on Twin Sisters that gives a good technique for defrosting every few weeks.
https://esc-pod.com/pdq-34-upgrades-mod ... -upgrades/
Flip Turn - 2006 PDQ 34
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

glad things worked out. also thanks for letting us all know what it was. that's critical to making this forum work.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23